New to Curb Strips Finds

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So most of the last 20 years i've worked beaches and parks. Never tried curb strips or tear-outs, not even in front of my own home (I know, I know).
Determined to expand my comfort zone, I hit an area that could be called a curb strip in a busy part of the city. The specific area has not seen any real improvement (read moving dirt) in over 40 years, but given it's proximity to the street, railroad tracks, and local small businesses I could do so without attracting attention for an hour or so.
Q1oill6.jpg
There's a ditch followed by railroad tracks just on the other side of the trees (easily within 50 ft). The yellow arrow indicates where I found a Winchester 30-30 and 'Space' Pen. Not sure about the cartridge, but the pen works fine. Both were about 3 - 4 inches down and within 4 ft of each other.
t6mMLlz.jpg
The odd thing, if it is odd, is that this area is not deer hunting territory and hasn't been since the mid 1800's, rather it's only about a sand wedge from a very busy intersection near the middle of town.

Upvote 7

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Never can tell what's going to turn up when you are strip hunting! Wish I had a nickle for every wheel weight I found over the past 40 years.

OP
OP
wmpwi

wmpwi

Sep 24, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geez, I forgot about those. Yeah, I'd bet those things are everywhere, particularly anywhere my wife drives.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a few that divided a highway from a service road. The service road ran along side some houses that were built around the turn of the century.
Found lots of junk,, but no coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread