New to detector's but curious.

Lowell

Sep 2, 2023
Wichita, Kansas.
Detector(s) used
I have been given a vintage Bill Mahans Rebel 1 metal detector by D-Tex. I have not used it yet and I don't know how to set it up for searching yet.
Hello to everyone. I am new to the detecting world and I have a question or two. If anyone can help me or send me in the right direction for information I will appreciate that.
I was given a Rebel 1 metal detector by D-Tex and I have not been able to find anything about it. I am mostly curious about an operator manual, if there is one. Can anyone help me out with this request?

Attachments

• 16936977061945101249753601434589.jpg
    16936977061945101249753601434589.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 16936978271086108416994724680054.jpg
    16936978271086108416994724680054.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 13

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to everyone. I am new to the detecting world and I have a question or two. If anyone can help me or send me in the right direction for information I will appreciate that.
I was given a Rebel 1 metal detector by D-Tex and I have not been able to find anything about it. I am mostly curious about an operator manual, if there is one. Can anyone help me out with this request?
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_metal_detector.gif
Take a look at the thread: D-TEX DETECTORS . It is a very old thread (Jan 22, 2005) but - they did list the companies phone number, etc. Also, search forum: OTHER BRANDS... - a lot of threads talking about D-Tex Detectors.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Lowell - You have one of Bill Mahan's machines. He was a pioneer inventor and manufacturer of metal detectors "back in The Day" (1956 - circa 1984). He was a successful promoter and, unlike many other detector makers, a very successful treasure hunter. He was an expert on Padre island (before it became a National Park and one of the early battlefields between th'ers and the federal government over treasure hunting).

His detectors got mixed reviews - some people loved them and made some very nice finds. The old treasure hunting magazines have many D-Tex ads showing the recoveries. Others had a different opinion.

The technology is very out-of-date. Your machine appears to be in very good condition. I would consider selling it as a collector's item and investing in a much more modern detector. Like exercise bikes and workout machines, I would think long and hard about buying a new one, because there are so many for sale that have only been used a few times. If you can find a local dealer to work with it might turn out very well for you.

2.0 - See if this will help you get started if you decide to keep it:

A final note - never leave the batteries in the machine. Take them out when you're finished for the day.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Welcome!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Bill Mahan was not only an inventor and successful treasure hunter - he was a writer, and the publisher of Bill Mahan's Treasure World (before it was purchased by Long John Latham and folded into the True Treasure magazine family). Copies of the dozen or so yellow-cover issues are collector's items today.

Mahan wrote an essay titled "I Find the 'Little' Treasures." He distributed mimeograph (remember that copying process?) copies to customers. The sound advice was later published in two parts in True West, and reprinted in GOLD! Vol. 3, No. 1 (Annual, 1971). It is excellent advice for the novice.

Here is some useful information from the 1970 D-Tex catalogue:

Bill Mahan 1 of 3.JPG

Bill Mahan 2 of 3.JPG

Bill Mahan 3 of 3.JPG

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread