New to metal detecting, question about rocky shoreline.

Kushy

Nov 27, 2022
Good day all,

I'm new to metal detecting and treasure hunting. I'm located along the north shore of Lake Ontario near Kingston Ontario.

I have detected on sand beaches in the past, but never rocky shoreline, which is really all we have in this area.

My question:

Is it possible to detect on rocky shoreline, and if so any advice for a newbie to this.

I'm using a Mindlabs Vanquish 440, not sure if that matters.

Thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kushy

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a lot of experience on rocky shorelines but one item I can bring up is to be careful on swinging your coil. Pay special attention to that and I highly recommend a coil cover for protection.

If your rocky shoreline contains rocks roughly 2"-8" stones, maybe use a pickaxe style tool to move the stones out of the way to help you find your target. If your rocky shoreline contains small aggregate (pea size), maybe use an aluminum or stainless-steel scoop with a nice long handle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kushy

Kushy

Nov 27, 2022
I don't have a lot of experience on rocky shorelines but one item I can bring up is to be careful on swinging your coil. Pay careful attention to that and I highly recommend a coil cover for protection.

If your rocky shoreline contains rocks roughly 2"-8" stones, maybe use a pickaxe style tool to move the stones out of the way to help you find your target. If your rocky shoreline contains small aggregate (pea size), maybe use an aluminum or stainless-steel scoop with a nice long handle.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I never thought about the coil cover for added protection, you're absolutely right.

I will post my finds and any issues that may arise.

Thanks again for the advice.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good day all,

I'm new to metal detecting and treasure hunting. I'm located along the north shore of Lake Ontario near Kingston Ontario.

I have detected on sand beaches in the past, but never rocky shoreline, which is really all we have in this area.

My question:

Is it possible to detect on rocky shoreline, and if so any advice for a newbie to this.

I'm using a Mindlabs Vanquish 440, not sure if that matters.

Thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kushy
Welcome to the forum Kushy.
You're correct on the rocky, with a spattering of sand here and there for shoreline.
I used to live on Howe Island
Now 50km NE of Kingston

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I'm located along the north shore of Lake Ontario near Kingston Ontario...never rocky shoreline, which is really all we have in this area...Is it possible to detect on rocky shoreline, and if so any advice for a newbie to this...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to FORUM: CANADA for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! Description: This section contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions