new to site and to detecting

ditchmd

Jul 21, 2006
Hello all, I have been lurcking around the site for about a week. Great information. My hubby bought us (me lol) a Whites M6 last weekend. I have been trying for the last hour plus to get my camera to upload pictures but I am having problems with that so hopefully I can get my pictures up later. I live in NC and WOW the heat is breath taking but I did go out to an abandoned mid 1800s church near my house. No real great finds yet just some hand made nail and alot of trash. But I did find a Buffaloe Nickel on my first day. Of course no date can be seen but a nice coin non the less. Was able to get all the crud off of it and it has real nice details but with the Carolina Red Clay it is a deep Red color and I cant seem to get it otherwise ( tired viniger, H202, and silver cleaner) but honestly I like the look. Still trying to figure out all the fine tuning of detecting and mostly trying to find the easiest way of digging this hard NC dirt..grrrr. LOL Just want to say hi and hope to post some findings in the future.

Thanks,
Ditchmd

Upvote 0
Welcome!
Thats the best way to learn a new detector... Get out and play with it. If you got a Buffalo nickel on your first day out, thats a good start.

Wow a Buffalo nickle on your first try that is great. Use to live in N.C. in Kinston never detected there. Good luck and great hunting. Ted

impossible to get an old nickel back to shiny after its lain in the soil a while. Old nickels lose the date really easy too if you try and clean them too much. I like the red color myself.

As for cleaning the nickel, let it soak in catsup for a couple of days. The catsup will make it a nice silver-ish color. It will not shine, but it will eat that red stuff off of it. I've found two buffalo nickels so far. Fortunately for me both of them still have their dates. I just thought I would let you know about the catsup trick.

Best of luck on your many new adventures,
Ryan

Hello and welcome to Treasurenet!
Sounds like you are doing everything right,
a Buff on your first day out, a great sign of good things to come.
Stay patient and keep at it, you'll have a blast!

Smiles!
BDoo

Welcome and congrats on making a great start. Sounds like your a natural.

Good Huntin
Kevin

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll have to try to katscup trick. Been out a few more times but the Carolina heat is so stifaling.....May have been beginners luck but still trying lol. Main problem is trying to dig the insanly hard ground. I may have to start taking a spade or regular shovel. Still trying to get my camera to work on this computer. I have been some driving around trying to find some sites to detect. Found an abandoned farm with house and many, many sheds. It is so grown up. Hope it is still there when the weather cools a bit, its way too hot for long pants and long shirt. In NC you can not detect in any state owned parks so there goes 1/2 of the sites I thought I would hit. None the less this is going to be quite addictive I see.

Happy Hunting
Ditchmd

Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby! A buffalo is a good way to start out. Your finds will get better and better as you learn your detector. Good Luck in the future!

Huntin' 59er

Welcome to the sight and to the hobby. I, too, live in NC...but the only things I swang last week were my golf clubs. I'd rather be detecting somewhere...hopefully we will get a good soaking rain real soon. Congrats on the Buffalo Nickel on your first out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back