New to the CTX3030 forum

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am new to this forum for a good reason. I will have a CTX3030 in 2-3 weeks.

Went from 3 years on the AT Pro to Nox 800 in 2018. Just had to have the 800. I got caught up in all the PR and forum talk. Well I was not really ready for the transition from the AT Pro to the 800. I figured 50 hours as everyone was saying to learn the 800. Well not for me. It is now 3 years + later and I am very comfortable with the 800. Understand all the settings and how to apply them in changes of hunting sites. But it certainly was not a 50 hour process. It seemed endless. Actually I am still learning some things about using 4k frequency.

I am finding that my hunting locations for relics and coins in metro Atlanta makes for a bouncy TID on the Nox. Coins are pretty easy to find with the nox and recognizing bottle caps, making pop tops and pull tabs disappear in the 4K freq is easy. But relic hunting is a different matter with these Civil War sites mostly within our ring interstate of I-285, which means lots of modern trash.

So I am going to give the CTX3030 a go for the reason of better ID'ing of targets which in my opinion is not so good on the narrow Nox TID range.

Am happy that some experience CTX3030 users still hang around to teach us newbies on the 3030. I have ordered Andy's book on the CTX3030 with some misgivings since I really did not like his book on the Equinox at all. I hope his 3030 book lives up to some of the other member's recommendations.

I know there will be a learning curve, but at least I am coming from 3 + years on the Nox 800 and not the AT Pro which is an excellent turn on and hunt machine.
I look forward to leaning the CTX from you guys and some videos. I hope it will help my Civil War relic hunting.

Happy to be on the CTX3030 forum.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a TON of Civil War relic hunting here in Missouri. My dirt is mostly mild and easy to dig. I highly recommend that your first hunts with the CTX be at parks or yards so that you can get a "feel" for it before you go digging relics. When you get a good handle on your machine and what it is telling you, you will be better at pulling up the relics. Stuff like J hooks, buttons, and small caliber bullets can display on the TID and audio nearly the same as pull tabs and junk. Bullets sound like zinc cents and Indians and bottle tops, etc. Tin-back buttons ring up as nickels.

By first learning your machine and the audio/TID signals, you will be better able to slay those relics.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the CTX 3030! Coming from an equinox you will pick it up quick!

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope so. Coming from my 3 years of hunting with an AT Pro did nothing to prepare me for the Nox 800. Wow what a learning curve for me. Steep and long. But worth every hour of it.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do a TON of Civil War relic hunting here in Missouri. My dirt is mostly mild and easy to dig. I highly recommend that your first hunts with the CTX be at parks or yards so that you can get a "feel" for it before you go digging relics. When you get a good handle on your machine and what it is telling you, you will be better at pulling up the relics. Stuff like J hooks, buttons, and small caliber bullets can display on the TID and audio nearly the same as pull tabs and junk. Bullets sound like zinc cents and Indians and bottle tops, etc. Tin-back buttons ring up as nickels.

By first learning your machine and the audio/TID signals, you will be better able to slay those relics.
Thanks MidMo, Good advice. I had some good advice on how to learn the 800 but was pig headed and thought I knew it all and heck, I'm smart so it will be easy. Not so easy. This go around I l am listening and taking a lot of the good advice. I gone over almost all the past ctx3030 past posts on here and over at FM where there are 803 pages of them. Of course have Andy's book. His ctx3030 book is so much better than his 800 book. I have two parks within 1/2 mile of my house. One very trashy and one mostly 200 acre of woods with modest amount of trash. I know them well have hunted them for 6 years. Those two will be my training ground along with a few schools and soccer fields.
Really looking forward to my new CTX3030. I never got really good with the 800 in 3 years. Yes, I know exactly what each control and feature is for and can set up a hunt in the field with no trouble. But I have come to the conclusion you need to have good ears and hunt in 50 tones to really master the 800. I have high freq hearing loss in my right ear and a little less in the left ear. So I am convinced I will do better in my hunting with the CTX display analysis of the targets. Yeah which I could hear the subtle differences between target type, but that is just not going to happen with my hearing. Anyway that is the plan and what detectorist does not like getting a new one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread