tikirob1

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK…I’m new to all of this, I have only been out for maybe 15 hours, so I am as new as you can get. I like to research before I buy and as a beginner I ended up selecting the Fisher F44 as my first detector. So here is my first impression of the F44 and detecting in general.

I read the manual, watched the few videos that are out there. There are some (like Hunter GT) that were very informative. I ate up everything I could read or watch. I personally thing it has given me a advantage on my first days out.

I did try an Ace 250 and a BH Tracker IV for an hour or two from a friend before my purchase. I was super excited to get the F44 from Big Boy Hobbies (who were super and fast). The assembly was easy and I had it up and running in no time. I fired it up at my Apt. playground. Two AA batteries is all it took. The hobby store sent a set of headphone and a digger as part of the kit.

I used the Ground Grab feature, turned sown the sensitivity a little (11). I set it to Jewelry mode so I could hear a bit more than just coins. If found a few pennies and a couple of pull tabs. It was exciting. My next target was a park (I got a permit for my city…it was free) and found a ton of junk. I really wanted to hear as much as I could. I choose artifact mode, which only knocked out Iron. I still found plenty of Nails and odd shaped pieces of iron. I dug everything. I found a few coins, but I am starting to hear the difference between some pull tabs and coins. I still digging everything to confirm my thoughts.

I am really enjoying it. It can suck sometimes when you work hard for something and find junk…but it is exciting when you find something fun (Like a small Swiss Army knife). I think I am hooked. The fisher is really sensitive and I am starting to learn the sounds. After using the Ace 250 and BH, I feel I made a great choice in the F44. I like that I can ground balance and I’m not afraid a few sprinkles because it is weatherproof. My oldest coin so far is a 1965 quarter I found about 3” down next to a nail.

One last thing…after my first trip, my F44 Pin pointer is great but I went to Cabela’s and picked up a Garret AT pro Pointer…I feel it is a must if you are starting out.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia. Sounds like you have the right attitude to be a successful hunter, patience and eternal optimism are a must. Keep swinging and learning your machine and goodness will follow. This is a great site to learn and ask some real pros in this hobby the tricks of the trade.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome to hear you are enjoying that F44 so much tikirob. It is a great machine for the price. I can't think of any other detector that has it's options and performance for $350. Plenty of guys like to hunt in the rain but not go under water. Fills that niche perfectly.

I have pulled more silver rings with the F44 that I have with any other detector. The fact that you can silence each notch category instead of removing them (similar to the Omega 8500) is one of my favorite features.

Lovely detector. You made a great choice. Best of luck.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet tikirob1. I’m sure you’ll love the hobby and this website. Lots of nice people here. You’ve got a great machine in the f44. Enjoy.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I think your gonna like your F44 there are some issue's with the F22 I don't like but for the money there is a lot of positives. In a lot of ways it's like a baby nox.

FYI its not weatherproof with headphones on. You would think they would put that in big bold letters on the box or something but no its on page 17 or something in the manual. RTFM I guess.

Also the pinpoint button on mine gave out but I never used it much anyway.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from Mississippi and good luck.

OP
OP
T

tikirob1

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks...

Well so far so good. I have been out four times, maybe 15 hours. I found about $4.38 in clad and one wheat penny. I found two junk rings. It super fun and addictive. I want to go more...

The F44 is great I did get a optional 11" Fisher Double D coil which I tried out this last time over the 11" Concentric. It is not as deep but it so much easier to use. Maybe it is the trashy parks here (Homeless central here in Eugene.). The F44 is fine with sallow item (up to 3") but the single jumps around like crazy when deeper. I can pick out a penny, even a deep one, but I still struggle with quarters, I seem to get lots of caps...I mean lots of them. Deep caps and deep quarters seem to be the same...but hey I'm still learning.

Thanks for the weatherproofing tip...I did not think about the Headphone Jack...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the F44 and your new addiction. I prefer the DD coil and it goes deep and gives better target separation over the concentric. I always double check each target by swinging over it in an X pattern. It may sound great one way but going at another angle can let you know it's trash.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread