New to the hobby!

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Hello everyone! My name is Jeff, and fairly new to metal detecting, and I know I want to get into it. I've done a fair amount of prospecting with gold pans and sluice boxes, and certainly get the itch to get out and search for something that hasn't seen the light of day for a long time. I live in Alaska, and know I want a detector that will allow me to prospect, but also I want one that I can use for relic hunting, and coin hunting because I do a lot of traveling. After doing lots of homework, calling Kellyco, and even White's (very very nice people by the way) I am convinced the MXT All Pro is the one for me. I understand it's an easier machine? Not hard to learn? And will allow me to do all the type of hunting I hope to do!

Thoughts for those of you who have an MXT Pro? I've been impressed with all the instructional videos on YouTube, and talking to the great folks at White's, and even KellyCo was friendly. At first I was thinking about getting an E Trac Minelab, but talking to them was difficult, and it sounds as though it wouldn't be a good machine for prospecting, and a steeper learning curve.

Thank you everyone!
Jeff

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is every bit as deep for coins as an E-trac with the right coil of course, the D2 coil is great for depth but you would probably want another coil for gold prospecting. I haven't done any prospecting with mine so it would be best for someone else to say what coil would work the best for that. HH

OP
OP
baseballjeff

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Thank you for your response. Kellyco is offering the MXT with a 10" double D coil, and a 9" mono. Would these be good coils with the exception of one for prospecting?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the D2 coil stays on my MXT 95% of the time and I usually carry the 950 coil for a backup as when your detecting a ways from home you don't want a coil going bad to keep you from detecting. I'm thinking you might want the 6x9 and the 4x6 for prospecting but let someone who has prospecting experience give info on that, I never feel outgunned with my MXT no matter what detector others are using as once your used to the MXT its a killer deep detector for sure. HH

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
I have the M6 and MXT Pro and both are great detectors so I think you are making a great choice. I'll +1 about the D2 coil being a great coil to use while relic and coin shooting. I really think your second coil should be a smaller Eclipse Shooter DD, like a 4x6, something small that will allow you to prospect in those places most have overlooked like in between large rocks. I'm guessing you are dealing with lots of iron and other high mineralization areas; which makes the smaller coil better in these situations.

Seeing how you are new to the MXT series, I would also recommend a bit of lite reading. Jeff Foster wrote a nice guide called 'The MXT Edge'. It helped me out a great deal to learn my MXT Pro.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your MD. The MXT is a great detector and you made the right decision on it against the etrac. If you wanted something like the mxt in the minelab brand it should have beend the Xterra 705. The etrac is somewhat blind to small gold.
Now as far as coils, the d2 is the best coil for the mxt, the only time you would like to change it is if there is too much trash arround you or if you are at a salt beach. For trash the 10x6 is better, and for salt beaches any concentric is better. If you look into prospecting with the detector the 4x6 is the best option in my opinion, followed by the 5.3 coil that would be great for prospecting in hi mineralized soil.

For me a detector is more or less like having an engine (say chevy 350) and the coils are the car body style (say sports car, off road, sedan), you can have the same engine in all of them (the detector) but you need different bodies to achieve different results....

OP
OP
baseballjeff

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Silly question, but I have to ask. Coil protectors? Will they interfere at all? Or are they an obvious purchase?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no get the coil cover there worth there wight in gold
but one detector can't do it all a real gold detector operates at a very high frequency for ground reason and small low conducting targets
but don't get me wrong you have a great detector there you will find bigger nuggets with it..
dig every target for a lest a hundred or so to get to know what it's telling you I ground balance in prospecting mode to see were the ground is at

liftloop

OP
OP
baseballjeff

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
One last silly question, sorry everyone. Please know I appreciate everyone's support here!

Would it be better practice to buy directly from White's or the best deal I can find, like KellyCo.?

I'm all for buying local, so that's why I am considering buying directly from White's.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I had the MXT for 3 years and gave it to an in law. Bad mistake. Bought an AT Pro and like. Then an M6. Like it too. Its been told that the M6 is the MXT with out threshold and Relic mode. I concur with that statement. But you won't go wrong with the MXT series. Good luck.

OP
OP
baseballjeff

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Another question, if you are in an area where there is a possibility to finds coins, and relics, what mode would you want to be in? And why?

OP
OP
baseballjeff

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Also, headphones, I don't have any hearing problems, which pair would be a great one to go with?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Ok - the MXT Pro is a very under rated machine. It is extremely powerful and can be somewhat noisy at times as a result of this. It will find metal in all 3 modes ( relic, coin / jewelry & prospecting). I use mine in coin jewelry for all detecting anyways. Although the prospecting mode seems to perform slightly better on air tests. You can also flip it into the prospect mode if you are interested in how mineralized the sand is. Mine came with the 12". 300 coil. This is ok because all I do is beach detecting and it covers area well. The 950 & D2 DD are both also great coils. The 950 is VERY stable at the beach in wet sand. I don't use Kellyco anymore. I just don't like how they do business. There are plenty of other companies that are much more competant and helpful. I highly suggest Gray Ghost headphones. Good Luck

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't wear headphones your going to miss all those really deep whisper targets though, I think someone makes headphones that don't block out outside sounds which isn't good unless your out in the middle of nowhere then they would be fine. In town or parks your going to want headphones that block the outside noise for sure but out in the country in won't matter. HH

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last silly question, sorry everyone. Please know I appreciate everyone's support here!

Would it be better practice to buy directly from White's or the best deal I can find, like KellyCo.?

I'm all for buying local, so that's why I am considering buying directly from White's.

Depending on your local Whites dealer, Id buy it straight from the Sweet Home. Have you been to the factory web site and forum yet ? Im not sure if this is legal to put on here or not, but someone will remove it if needed. White's Electronics Shopper Dollars Promotion

OP
OP
baseballjeff

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Thank you everyone for all your input! I ended buying myself an MXT Pro directly from White's. It came with the 10" DD coil, and I also picked up a 4x6 Eclipse for prospecting, and a 9.5" 950 Eclipse because I heard that was a fun coil, easy to use, and a good all around coil. Thoughts? I also picked up coils for each of the coils too as I want to take good care of everything.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everyone for all your input! I ended buying myself an MXT Pro directly from White's. It came with the 10" DD coil, and I also picked up a 4x6 Eclipse for prospecting, and a 9.5" 950 Eclipse because I heard that was a fun coil, easy to use, and a good all around coil. Thoughts? I also picked up coils for each of the coils too as I want to take good care of everything.

Congrats, sounds like a great setup. The mxt is a superb detector, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in Alaska, buy local, for if you ever need help, warranty, or accessories.

AMD (alaska Mining, and Diving supply)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread