New to the site.

catfish74

May 13, 2009
Hi all,
i just came across-ed this site a few weeks ago, and have been amazed by it. Just for the history and the stories alone, Not to mention the knowledge of the members. Anyway i am from north central PA Tioga County, While the area has never really been known for wealth ( hiddin or otherwise) There are several old abandon farms or remains of old foundations and even a few ghost towns not to far way, Just reading the threads is more then intresting to me But getting out there and finding some old parts of our history would also be really exciting. Can some of you please recommend a detector that would be good enough for someone like me just starting out and mind you ( four kids) so not a lot of extra money. That would be best for me to start with? I cant see just grabbing something from a local retailer when it wont be of any good use, But I certainly cant go out and buy a mac daddy either. Any advice? My main area would be in Tioga county witch is real rocky and the area has been flooded many times so my guess would be at least five to six inches of flood mud over the last decade. if that matters?

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Woooo Hoooo!

Welcome aboard, friend!

I'm still very new as well and am just learning the technique etc...

And you're right - TN is a FANTASTIC source of good info.

I look forward to your trials/lessons/successes/finds!!

-

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Catfish,

Welcome to the forum..... :)

Well...Tioga County huh?....Up thar in them sticks.... :help:

I was a regular visitor to Potter county for quite a few years. Stayed at the Lindy Motel in Coudersport every year for almost 10 years straight. Lots of history up your way...you just gotta look for it and look it up. The sparse population is going to make for some interesting research for you.

Ask a hundred people on what the best detector for you is and you'll get a hundred different answers.

First....figure out your budget...don't forget accessories like a digger, a finds apron, maybe a second coil for your detector if you can swing it. The second coil is by no means an absolute must. I used an 8" coil for over 20 years.

Second....go to the Metal detector review by owners section...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,208.0.html.
Scan thru them and see what may appeal to you. I understand the money thing....so keep in mind lots of hollering is done about pricy models.

Ebay can be a good source for a used machine. A white's 6000 Di Pro can be picked up for around 250-300 bucks and they are awesome machines....easy to learn and use. A tad on the heavy side and an analogue display...but who cares...still a great machine. New, these things ran close to 800.

I hear lots of good stuff about the Ace 250. New they run about 250 or so. Seems lots of new people pick these up and love em. I have no personal experience with one....just relaying everything I've read on here about them in the various forums.

Also consider the Classified ads section of this forum....http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,12.0.html. Perople get hooked on this hobby and sell off a good machine for one with more bells and whistles. You can even post a wanted ad for a detector and what you'd be willing to pay. Just don't deliberately lowball someone...could be taken the wrong way.

I dont have a vested interest in this site but let me suggest you become a charter member. There is so much information on here, the search feature you get with a charter membership makes it well worth it.

Hope this helps you some.....

Again, welcome....

Al

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
Don't count yourself out on the treasure scene. There was a person "Kirk of Pa" who had some awesome finds up north. You just have to research. Here is an idea. I read local library's historical sections. Many have a section on local history. Often times they will have diaries too. read them thoroughly. Often times the hint I am looking for is one sentence like "We picniced at Milikens GROVE. Now it is your job to find where Milliken had a grove, so you're off to the courhouse for tax maps, and Grantor/Grantee records for farms etc. I have found ten places like this. Some of these have never been hunted, though there is a reason why. They are often hard to find or overgrown. I found a grove near mechancisburg but it is so thick, I am waiting for the power company to clear the brush under the transmission lines. The farther back in history the harder it is fo find. You will start to understand how people lived back then, and see land in a different dimmension, where the roads were, crossings, taverns, etc. Good Luck

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Mojo said:
Don't count yourself out on the treasure scene. There was a person "Kirk of Pa" who had some awesome finds up north. You just have to research. Here is an idea. I read local library's historical sections. Many have a section on local history. Often times they will have diaries too. read them thoroughly. Often times the hint I am looking for is one sentence like "We picniced at Milikens GROVE. Now it is your job to find where Milliken had a grove, so you're off to the courhouse for tax maps, and Grantor/Grantee records for farms etc. I have found ten places like this. Some of these have never been hunted, though there is a reason why. They are often hard to find or overgrown. I found a grove near mechancisburg but it is so thick, I am waiting for the power company to clear the brush under the transmission lines. The farther back in history the harder it is fo find. You will start to understand how people lived back then, and see land in a different dimmension, where the roads were, crossings, taverns, etc. Good Luck

I miss Kirk's posts...lots of old colonial finds...a rarity, but he sure pulled em up. Good advice.

Al

OP
OP
C

catfish74

May 13, 2009
Thanks for the welcomes and the good tips. I am off searching ebay as we speak to find a detector.......

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would reccomend something by Tesoro. I have 2 of them. They are great machines and have an excellent customer care department. A lot of times they fix for free and I have never had a problem. Never a hassle to call them and they are very nice on the phone.

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
I have the Ace 250 and love it on ebay kelly co has them for about 212$ if I remember right and you can get a sniper head for about 60-70 I recemend buying from a well known dealership and not the fly by nights. and even bounty hunter has some nice detecters and I have used them in the past. I had an aquavision but that one I rated as junk and gave it away.

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
Catfish,

Welcome to Tnet... I understand about having kids and being tight with the money. I started out 5 years ago with a Bounty Hunter. Radio shack was discontinuing all the big stuff on the floor and purchased a $300.00 detector for $99 bucks. I still have that old detector and it found most of the cash for my Whites DFX300. I would look around on line like you are, try and find older models that are on sale. Check out Dick's sporting goods, ours had the Bounty Hunters on sale not to long ago. And at the least you could buy and try out, get the feel of a detector and take it back if your not satisfied. As for a digger, I found one at our local garden center for $10.00. Its heavy duty, has a knife edge a sheraded edge and stronger then most of the expencive ones sold on-line. When you do get a detector, start in your yard. Get to know the detector and move on to the play grounds. Keep us posted on your progress and stop by any time

Good Luck!

Rugratt

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Hey Catfish'
I'm from Tioga Co. Have been detecting for about 20 years, although I don't get out as much as I would like to. There are many places to hunt here. I have found many things, not much money, because I go to the old home sites and out of the way places. I prefer to hunt where there are no people around. I used to go a lot to old stone cellar holes on state forest land. I allways checked in at the local office first to make sure it was OK and never had a problem with them. I have been reading that some laws have been changed recently, so it would be best to check in with them to find out for sure.
I get a lot of information from reading old papers on line from the library. If you want sites in Williamsport area check the Williamsport Sun Gazette. Every Sunday they have an article on an old abandon town or area. This morning they had a good one to check out. I also read all the old Wellsboro papers on line from the Greenfree Library in Wellsboro.
Good Luck

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Welcome to another Keystoner. This is the best site for info & experienced MD'er's. Lots
of good folks here willing to help & some with a lot of knowledge. I've owned a few
detectors, heard a lot of good on the Ace, my second detector was a Bounty Hunter &
cost somewhere around $200. It is still probably my favorite because I know it so well,
it was fairly easy to learn by air-testing metals & getting used to the sounds. And now,
by knowing the settings, it never seems to lie, when it says 'quarter at six inches' , I
will almost bet that is exactly what it is. Only at times, it might be off slightly on depth,
but I live in an area that had steel mills all around & the soil conditions can make a
difference. Don't get fooled or frustrated by all the bells & whistles on the big money
machines when starting out. Learn to walk before you start to run is a good idea.
You don't go out & buy a Corvette when learning to drive, same difference here.
My best find about 25 years ago as a kid was a gold ring found with a Radio Shack
detector I got as a birthday present that probably didn't cost much more than $50.

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Welcome to TNet!

I have both, a Bounty Hunter and an Ace 250. I don't have any complaints on either except for the fact that the ACE 250 is alot lighter to carry than the BH. If I go out MDing on my own I take the ACE, if son goes with me I use the BH and he uses the ACE.

Follow what everyone has said about the research. You will learn alot about your area and good places to MD. Being that I am unable to MD right now, I am reading a book on my town so when I can get back out swinging, I will have more leads.

Sue

OP
OP
C

catfish74

May 13, 2009
Well, quick update...I now have on order an ACE 250. Should be here some time mid next week. Thanks again to everyone for the info.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Welcome to TNet Catfish!! Your initial observations are dead on.......this site is loaded with intelligent people who are more than eager to help out in any way they can!

Keep checkin' back in the "PA" section and watch for the posts by "Jeff of PA", you never know what history he will post next, he's full of "antique" knowledge...LOL!!

Again, welcome aboard!

Dave

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005
welcome to tnet . you could get a used ace 250 from ebay or look at the treasure depot used machines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread