New White PI machine coming out, has anyone heard anything? Water/land??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
you say: "...... new Whites PI machine that will be coming out"? Who told you this is for certain, to begin with? (just curious)

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
A guy by the name of Steve H., he has a mining camp in Alaska and did a field test for Whites, also Jimmy Sierra has said that they are coming out with a new PI. I hope we can use it in the water also because I mostly do underwater hunting ect. but for what everyone is saying it will be a nugget machine. So I might have to get it and water proof it, from what Steve has said he likes it better than the Infinium! So that's what I heard, anyone else? Aloha ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes this is common news as it was confirmed last year. Tom knows this and I imagine he is just curious about what you heard. Jimmy had a brief announcement about it back in May last year on the nuggethunting forum. http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3909

I also talked to Jimmy about it when he borrowed some equipment from me to test the new PI.
It has been menitioned on some forums. Here is what was on the MSN forum. However, as it is not from a tester I leave it to you to ponder it.

http://groups.msn.com/GoldDetecting...essage=34998&LastModified=4675658928052808063

George

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I imagine they are keeping it close to the vest till it is perfected. I remember the MXT development took awhile. Bits and pieces were talked about for a long time before it became available.

ANTICIPATION

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

I've been cautious about saying much, but so far I've not got my hands slapped. So bottom line is I got to test an early prototype in Hawaii. In a nutshell, I told White's I was happy enough with the prototype I'd buy it if it was all they had to offer. When I get one, it will see use for more than just nuggets. And if White's does not make a waterproof version - I will! I'm planning on Hawaii again next winter, and I dearly hope I have an underwater version of the unit with me.

It will not be a detector for the masses. But in imaginative hands it will open up some opportunities. I'm getting pretty jaded after 35 years of metal detecting but this one... well, I'm not going to get accused of hype. The post on the Australian forum is a bit over the top in my opinion, although it has some of it right. The machine will be what it will. People tired of every new VLF being a tweak on the last couple dozen will want to take a look at it when it comes out. But when it does, forget all you know about detecting. It's a whole new ballgame and requires a different way of thinking. Those who think outside the box are going to do well.

Steve Herschbach

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Steve, thanx for the info. I won't slap your hands either ;D

Let me guess: it's just a GS5 re-make, right? So as such, we'll get no more depth on penny/dime/quarters, and still have issues with certain types iron disc, right? (rusty round washers, etc...)

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I found a picture of it ... ;)

Attachments

• g1c212fe398eedd107f1f5eb110db5916b3beea294590a6.jpg
    g1c212fe398eedd107f1f5eb110db5916b3beea294590a6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 315

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom,

No, it is not just a GS5 remake, if you mean by that the same thing in a different box. The GS5 is the base unit that was used as a prototype when development started over two years ago. What will be released will as much a GS5 remake as an XLT is a remake of the White's Eagle. But indeed, we are talking ground balancing pulse induction technology. It has its own strengths and weaknesses. If you use the strengths to your benefit you are ahead in the game. If the weaknesses make it something that does not work for you, stick with what you have.

In my ground even an Infinium will hit a silver dime deeper than an Explorer with a WOT coil. Depth is 100 percent dependent on ground conditions. There are areas where this unit will easily outperform VLF units for depth on any coin. In moderate to low mineral conditions VLF units can meet or exceed ground balancing PI depths. You must use the proper tool for your conditions.

There is not and I doubt there ever will be one unit that excels at all things in all ground conditions. Anyone using even the best discriminating VLF detector will dig junk items to get the good stuff. If all you dig are 100% coins, you are leaving good items behind. If you want a machine that digs no junk, then this unit will not be it. But it can find good items with an acceptable trash to good find ratio if applied properly to jobs it is good at.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything. The unit will be very useful for some people, and the worse the ground conditions, the more useful it will be. For many people it will be of no use at all. No different and no worse than all detectors on the market. Just another tool in the tool box.

If you are looking for a better silver turf hunter than your Explorer Tom then this probably is not going to float your boat. But let's pretend we know a guy that has pulled a respectable number of gold coins from a certain location. And let's just say the guy has pounded the site, and can't come up with more, but is convinced they are there. Maybe the guy is willing to dig quite a bit of junk to score a gold coin. They are after all worth a few bucks.

That guy might want to consider this unit when it comes out. Know anyone like that?

Maybe there is a person in Geogia that relic hunts that deep red soil. Got a good place, but the VLFs are done with it. Yet still it seems items must be lurking unfound. The soil is really killing the VLF units depth.

That person might want to consider this unit when it comes out.

Maybe a another guy knows about a ghost town in Nevada or Arizona. The place had some great silver coin finds, but the ground mineralization is so bad even the best VLF units can only pull coins up from 4"-6". The guy is convinced there is good silver still there, but is frustrated that VLF units just can't seem to do the job.

That guy might want to consider this unit when it comes out.

Or another person has this horrible black sand hot rock saltwater beach to deal with. The VLF units suck there, and even saltwater PI units hit on the rocks.

That person might want to consider this unit when it comes out.

Me? I'm going to go dig up a pound of gold nuggets with it!

The worse the detecting environment, the better the unit will look compared to VLF units. So the secret to success with this unit will be to seek out areas where ground conditions have foiled previous efforts. People who grasp that fact will do well with this unit. Those who insist on using it in mild ground conditions will no doubt complain. Some folks just do not want to listen.

Steve Herschbach

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know but the Whites new PI sounds a lot like the Garrett Infinium ?? ...==Jim==

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I owned four Infiniums for use at my mine at Moore Creek. I sold them all over the last couple months in anticipation of replacing them with the White's unit. I'll let you guess why. Hopefully White's gets the new unit out the door before June, or I'll have to buy something else!

Steve Herschbach

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve Herschbach said:
Hi,

I owned four Infiniums for use at my mine at Moore Creek. I sold them all over the last couple months in anticipation of replacing them with the White's unit. I'll let you guess why. Hopefully White's gets the new unit out the door before June, or I'll have to buy something else!

Steve Herschbach
... ???............................................ ??? What problems did you have with the infinium? I would like to know before i go to gold country for a little hunting...................... ???........This is going to be a new adventure for a old hunter...................................................==Jim==

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanx for the long detailed answer Steve! Yes, you're right, I was hoping it would find silver deeper than the current "power houses" on the market right now. But I suspected as you said: It will only go deeper on silver, if the ground, to start with, was nasty for VLFs to deal with. So for low or only moderate minerals, it's not going to be an Explorer killer for deeeep silver dimes.

Even without a machine that excells on low conductors, anyone can go out to any inner-city park, and dig low conductors till his arms fall off, with existing machines, at parks I'm thinking of. So no need for more power in that department. Yes, in relicky spots (CW etc...) where they are strip-mining, then any advantage of a "few more" targets, is a bonus.

How about this application: ghost-towns, old-town demolition sites, and other such nail and iron riddled sites? Can it see through iron very well? You know how some machines will see a coin under a nail or two, and others (the power-house machines) will mask in those conditions. I know this new machine will be able to pass iron, but how does it do when a coin is under a nail, for example?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Jim, it is not that I have an issue with the Infiniums per se. They did fine for me and in fact think I have been counted among those thinking the Infinium is an underrated unit. But the fact is I think the White's will be a better dry land unit.

Tom, I was using a prototype, since surpassed by newer prototypes. We need to wait for the finished product to see what it is really capable of. I think we can agree you are skeptical of the unit, as your focus appears to be on what the unit cannot do. If you insist on playing to the weakness of any unit you will fail. I do not use an Explorer to chase one grain gold nuggets, and I do not use a Gold Bug 2 to chase deep silver. This new unit will have strengths that properly applied will lead to results. If you are not inclined to do that, simply disregard the unit and be happy with what you have. I'm not here to sell you or anyone on the unit. It is just another tool looking for a use. One thing I never do is argue with success, and I envy your success with the Explorer. I am hoping to find my first gold coin soon, and you are up to what, eleven found? If I were you I'd keep doing whatever it is you are doing!!

And Willy, old buddy! Yeah, if the Pulse Devil does what Dave says it will do, it would be the Holy Grail of detecting. I've talked to Dave over the last year, including just yesterday. He is a really nice and sincere guy, but you can put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" column. I was promised a unit last spring, and am promised one again this spring. When if ever I get to take a Nemesis for a spin you'll be one of the first to know. The Pulse Devil was shelved for now in favor of a simplified, lighter, less expensive version aimed more directly at nugget hunters. And so we are now talking Nemesis, not Pulse Devil.

This looks to be the year of the PI. You VLF guys just be happy and let us PI guys have our fun. We have a high chance of seeing both a new White's PI and a new Minelab PI this year, and a possibility Dave Emery will come through finally. I'm bored with VLF. Tell me just how much different a Minelab Explorer SE is from an Explorer II. The big excitement seems to have been the F75 last year, but it was just another VLF as far as I'm concerned. PI is not for everyone and most people should stick with VLF. But for people like me craving something different the action looks to be in PI these days.

Steve Herschbach

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Steve, thanx again for the answer. Yes, silver coin (deep) hunting in junky parks here, is one niche we do here. There are no nuggets in our costal part of CA. The nearest nugget producing regions are over 3 hr. drive from me, so I've never gotten into that. Yes we have hunting types that would be benefited from a machine that excells in low conductors: beach hunting, relicky sites (ie.: "dig all"), ruins, etc... And yes, I'm at 11 gold coins now ;)

How about my other question on the prototype's ability to see through iron? You know how, for example, if you took a Shadow X2 (or similar 2 filter unit) it can pass up nails, but also still give a positive beep when a coin is under a nail or two. But an XLT, Explorer, etc... will mask in that test. How does this new technology rank in that department?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom,

I did not test the machine for that, and no longer have it. There were possible modifications I suggested that led me to actually ask the same question, but my question was predicated on the suggested modifications being done. We will simply have to wait and see what the final unit offers. Please understand I can only really talk in generalities about well known ground balancing PI capabilities and that to discuss specifics of the new unit is inappropriate at this time. But I'd not be expecting miracles in the masking department. The F75 appears to be the hot ticket there at the moment.

I wish somebody would go back and apply 21st century technology to old 100 kHz TR tech. I have a Compass 77B just for looking through nails and as far as I know it is still the best detector for that. Surely some bright engineer could improve on this old technology to get just a tad more stability and depth.

Steve Herschbach

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now i read were the J.W.Fisher......Pulse 8X will get targets at 8 feet......and the J.W.Fisher 6X will get targets at 3 1/2 feet........ why And how can J.W.Fisher make a PI go deeper than other Co. can make them? ...........Do you think they would be good for beach and surf? ............How about nugget hunting ?...................And i saw were you can buy them from J.W.Fisher cheaper than Kellyco sells them..........................==Jim==

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
==Jim== aren't those just for big items? Ie.: not for coins, jewelry, etc....? Heck, I got a detector right now, several of them, that get targets at 3 to 8 ft. As long as they're Volkswagons, Fords, refrigerators, etc... :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom_in_CA said:
==Jim== aren't those just for big items? Ie.: not for coins, jewelry, etc....? Heck, I got a detector right now, several of them, that get targets at 3 to 8 ft. As long as they're Volkswagons, Fords, refrigerators, etc... :)
[/quote..... ???....]Tom.....I don't know i did read a lot of divers use them the government uses them and they are not any bigger than a Sovereign or infinium.......... I was just curious as to why we don't hear to much about them. Or to why the are not used by Treasure hunters?/ ???.......................==Jim==

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread