Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all;
I just started a new yard in a nice old section of town, House dates to mid 1800's. I dug here Wed. & Thurs.,
about 6 hours so far, lots of iron and some trash but also mixed in please check this out..
Beauty Cream tin back.jpg Beauty Cream tin front.jpg 1800s buckle.jpg brass gilt pin.jpg thimble 04.jpg

Most of those are pretty self evident

Mans ring.jpg gold pin.jpg ring and shell.jpg

A nice solid gold pin (not real thick) and a couple of rings, but the 22 cal. shell has an eagle or bird of some kind on the bottom, not sure yet what that's about.

Token 01.jpg Token 02.jpg colonial button 03 front.jpg colonial button 03 back.jpg colonial button 02 front.jpg colonial button 02 back.jpg colonial button 01 front.jpg colonial button 01 back.jpg

Some other cool things. The tin still opens! The Token was used to gamble, my research shows. Nice uncrushed thimble too.

1807 Draped Bust Obv.jpg 1807 Draped Bust Rev.jpg 1862 IH fatty Obv.jpg 1862 IH fatty Rev.jpg 1862 IH fatty side.jpg

Only found three older coins in this yard so far, quite a few newer and clad, but I am tickled with these three, this is my first Indian fatty and oldest LC.

flattened wheatie.jpg

This one stumped me until I got it cleaned. a Flattened Wheatie ! I don't know if some kids stuck it on the railroad tracks or what. If they did, it must have been hit by only one wheel, because you can still make out a detail or two, and it's not that flat or enlarged.

It's been a good dig so far, except for all the trash there too. But that goes with the territory...
Hope you enjoy the view. It's fun to have someone to share this stuff with.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and really nice finds. Thanks for sharing adn congrats on the success.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great yard hunt ! I'd love to see the underside of the gold pin , the wheatie may have been abraded in some way ,is it larger in diameter than
a normal cent ? also railroaded coins go elliptical in shape due to the directional pressure along the rail - exactly like running a coin through
a rolling mill - yours does not show this at all .

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great yard hunt ! I'd love to see the underside of the gold pin , the wheatie may have been abraded in some way ,is it larger in diameter than
a normal cent ? also railroaded coins go elliptical in shape due to the directional pressure along the rail - exactly like running a coin through
a rolling mill - yours does not show this at all .

I will add the underside of the pin, if you take the pic of the flattened wheatie and put a circle over it, you can see the ellipse, but you're
right, it's not very much. This is my third deformed penny so far. somebody stuck one in a press and put a nail through a second. not sure how this was flattened.
I flattened one by rail when I was a kid and it got huge and thin and warped. this is just barely so.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the underside pic - with older jewelry the inside (rings) and undersides can tell you so much about a piece . I'm
guessing this brooch was made circa 1880-1890 and was worn at the throat of a blouse. Very Nice !

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Your doing really great at that spot! Really nice variety of finds!
Congrats!

I know what you mean about sharing with the folks here, it's great!
My family sure doesn't get my addiction to this hobby! Lol!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, what a great site you have there. Those are some awesome finds. Congrats and best of luck with the balance

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the underside pic - with older jewelry the inside (rings) and undersides can tell you so much about a piece . I'm
guessing this brooch was made circa 1880-1890 and was worn at the throat of a blouse. Very Nice !
The pin part was actually with the gold pin, but just crumbled. The larger brooch is coated with 10K G really thick on the mounting bar around it, and the back shows a very early pin system.. very basic. so it may be even older, but talk about gaudy... lol
Thanks for the interest..

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Your doing really great at that spot! Really nice variety of finds!
Congrats!

I know what you mean about sharing with the folks here, it's great!
My family sure doesn't get my addiction to this hobby! Lol!

I know, my wife is very "patient" with me LOL!
"That's nice Dear."

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME!!!! I love it when old homes spit goodies at you, thanks for showing us.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AWESOME!!!! I love it when old homes spit goodies at you, thanks for showing us.

Me too. Plus, this place is LOADED with high signals.. most are can slaw or aluminum siding pcs. but obviously SOME are not! lol
so, I'll just have to dig the trash in the hopes of more of the "treasure" It's sure to be in there. This house's property used to belong to the house next door, which was built in the early 1700's
so here's to hoping!
Thanks for the interest - happy hunting

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety and with those dated finds you never know what your gonna pull..

~Blaze~

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really nice finds. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread