New year...new detector?

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions on narrowing down a potential new detector.

I have detected for 37 years and have always been an old Fisher analogue fan. Alas, my dear 1266 is presently in the Gilmer E.R. and Dr. Wills is the attending physician. I have a fall-back machine but have been thinking about a new one.

With a budget around $500+, would I do better to purchase a Simplex, AT PRO, or a new/old Tesoro Outlaw? (This machine would be for parks, playgrounds, and an occasional beach trip.

Thanks Again and Happy Hunting,

Bubba C.

Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Danny, for your reply, and hello in the High Desert!

I'm a life-long Fisher user (37 years and 6 unts). However, I picked the Simplex due to price and recommendations after one of my other detectors needed to visit the ER. I have used it shortly on three trips coin hunting but can't get used to the odd, low iron tones. In very junky areas, I would rather silence trash and find the clad. Gold jewellry is really a non issue where I hunt, and I know that I'm not missing anything.

Ideally, I would not have even thought about another company other than Fisher; however, since Fisher was bought out, their service and response to customers has devolved into a dumpster fire. I contacted them twice around the New Year (including a personal email to Felix) regarding my unit, and I have never received a response.

So much for nearly 4 decades of loyality to their company! At this point, I could care less if Fisher goes the way of other defunk companies, and I won't purchase their new units again. Goodbye and good riddence to them

Hope you find your share of Binion's lost silver there in Pahrump!! Also, say hello to Art for me; I do miss him!

Bubbacat

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO, the Simplex does a better job than an F-19, is cheaper, and is waterproof. Say goodnight Fisher.....
Higher frequencies find smaller things easier. I have both machines. The F-19 will sound off on the ball of a plastic bic pen. The Simplex + will not. So depends what you are looking for. Most of detecting is luck and time spent doing it. The more time, the greater the chances you will get lucky. All the hype in the world about which machine is best won't make a coil go over a target. None can tell the difference between lead, aluminium, and gold. Often they are even wrong about steel.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you find your share of Binion's lost silver there in Pahrump!! Also, say hello to Art for me; I do miss him!

Bubbacat
If I found it, his heirs would claim it and have me arrested for trespassing.
About Art Bell, I will pass on a hello for you when I see him in a few years. He died in 2018. His show continued to play re-runs for years. Greetings to you from the Kingdom of Nye. (that is the name of the County Pahrump is in, NYE). He did his show from his home. I passed by it often on my way to a brothel, (legal here). They had a good kitchen and sports type bar. I went there for a rib eye dinner on fridays. I played pool with the ladies but never was their customer. I brought them outside food like mexican, so I was their old man buddy. Very nice people really.

OP
OP
B

bubbacat

Dec 20, 2018
Deep Woods, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
1266XB, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I found it, his heirs would claim it and have me arrested for trespassing.
About Art Bell, I will pass on a hello for you when I see him in a few years. He died in 2018. His show continued to play re-runs for years. Greetings to you from the Kingdom of Nye. (that is the name of the County Pahrump is in, NYE). He did his show from his home. I passed by it often on my way to a brothel, (legal here). They had a good kitchen and sports type bar. I went there for a rib eye dinner on fridays. I played pool with the ladies but never was their customer. I brought them outside food like mexican, so I was their old man buddy. Very nice people really.
Listening to an Art re-run now. Right after he passed, we swung by his house on our way to Death Valley. Art posted a drone video that started in his drive and ended at the brothel. Lot of characters in your home town!

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listening to an Art re-run now. Right after he passed, we swung by his house on our way to Death Valley. Art posted a drone video that started in his drive and ended at the brothel. Lot of characters in your home town!
We had a brothel owner run for public office. He died partying with a few of his ladies before the election. We voted him in anyway. There was no law that said we could not elect a dead man. His party got to fill the vacancy.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Danny, for your reply, and hello in the High Desert!

I'm a life-long Fisher user (37 years and 6 unts). However, I picked the Simplex due to price and recommendations after one of my other detectors needed to visit the ER. I have used it shortly on three trips coin hunting but can't get used to the odd, low iron tones. In very junky areas, I would rather silence trash and find the clad. Gold jewellry is really a non issue where I hunt, and I know that I'm not missing anything.

Ideally, I would not have even thought about another company other than Fisher; however, since Fisher was bought out, their service and response to customers has devolved into a dumpster fire. I contacted them twice around the New Year (including a personal email to Felix) regarding my unit, and I have never received a response.

So much for nearly 4 decades of loyality to their company! At this point, I could care less if Fisher goes the way of other defunk companies, and I won't purchase their new units again. Goodbye and good riddence to them

Bubbacat
Hey Bubbacat!

One of the features of the simplex is the 2 separate volume controls. One for ferrous, the low grunt tones, and the other for the non ferrous, the higher tones. So I hunt with the ferrous volume at just one bar, so I can locate the iron patches and such, but it is just a mild low tone grunt almost in the background. But I keep the volume wide open for the nonferrous. Works great!

When I first got the Simplex, I had them both turned up, it was like machine gun fire in an iron infested field. After adjusting volumes, I can cruise through w pre civil war farm field with capped bust coins at a pretty good speed. Just a thought! Good luck!!

Bob

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bubbacat!

One of the features of the simplex is the 2 separate volume controls. One for ferrous, the low grunt tones, and the other for the non ferrous, the higher tones. So I hunt with the ferrous volume at just one bar, so I can locate the iron patches and such, but it is just a mild low tone grunt almost in the background. But I keep the volume wide open for the nonferrous. Works great!

When I first got the Simplex, I had them both turned up, it was like machine gun fire in an iron infested field. After adjusting volumes, I can cruise through w pre civil war farm field with capped bust coins at a pretty good speed. Just a thought! Good luck!!

Bob
I. find that the iron can be an issue but somewhat welcome as well.
I love the Tones - they are helpers!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you go Simplex+, get the deal that includes the optional SP24, its a super combination

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread