Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

Just got a CTX and of course had to go on a work trip for a week the DAY after I got it...Anyhoo

My package came with the stock and 6" coil and I was curious if I should just but the small coil on and run that one.

I only ask because I came from an ATP and noticed the smaller coil for that is a MUST

I would love to hear opinions

I know its not somthign I could be swapping back and forth like I could the ATP

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn the machine with the stock coil and stock programs. All three coils, 6-11-17, are all pretty much spot on with id's however the depth readings will vary greatly. Good luck, that machine can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn the machine with the stock coil and stock programs. All three coils, 6-11-17, are all pretty much spot on with id's however the depth readings will vary greatly. Good luck, that machine can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

Thanks!

I had used my buddies when mine went down on a recent trip, I was finding coins and was pretty happy with the way it works.

Im ready to get on it!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the site. I'd go with the stock and learn that unless the site is ultra-trashy.
And congrats on the new detector!

(youre gonna LOVE target trace)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each coil has their uses. Get a couple extra lower shafts to mount them on. That will make swapping them out easier and faster.

papaharley03

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2014
Near Dallas, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Garrett PP, PPAT, Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new machine. I just bought a lightly used CTX3030 myself. I'm also transitioning from the AT Pro.

I see you're just on the other side of the metroplex from me. Don't keel over in this heat while trying to learn your new detector. :icon_sunny::cool:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've run the CTX for well over 2 years. I have owned all the coils. I use the stock coil about 75% of the time, the smallest coil (now I have the elliptical) about 10% and the largest coil only about the remaining 15% or so.

The smallest coil is good in trashy areas or after you hit it hard with the stock coil. The smallest coil will wear you out and you can end up with torn tendons like I did from pushing it down all the time and trying to use it in too wide open of an area. I still seldom use it, because I can mostly work trashy signals out with the stock coil. Now, the 17" coil is great for when I do fields or try and get really deep. I can dig quarter size targets easily in the 12" range in my soil with it. It is also sensitive enough to pinpoint dimes, although the pinpoint feature is kind of a pain with this coil compared to the rest.

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
I've run the CTX for well over 2 years. I have owned all the coils. I use the stock coil about 75% of the time, the smallest coil (now I have the elliptical) about 10% and the largest coil only about the remaining 15% or so.

The smallest coil is good in trashy areas or after you hit it hard with the stock coil. The smallest coil will wear you out and you can end up with torn tendons like I did from pushing it down all the time and trying to use it in too wide open of an area. I still seldom use it, because I can mostly work trashy signals out with the stock coil. Now, the 17" coil is great for when I do fields or try and get really deep. I can dig quarter size targets easily in the 12" range in my soil with it. It is also sensitive enough to pinpoint dimes, although the pinpoint feature is kind of a pain with this coil compared to the rest.

Thanks for the info Pointman! I was trying to find some honest reviews on the 6" coil.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The comment Pointman made about pushing it down is because the machine is perfectly balanced with the stock coil, but the 6" is so light the coil wants to lift off the ground when using it. This makes you want to hold it down... What I've found with the 6" coil is you need to exend the coil farther out than normal, but that's still not enough to properly balance it in my opinion. It still requires a little bit of down pressure to properly use it.

I'd only use the 6" in the trashiest spots.... Then the stock coil in normal conditions and the large coil when the target seperation permits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread