Newbe Question: Nickel or Shotgun shell

tomfg

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2005
I just picked up a White's Prizm II metal detector with Target I.D. Several times I've thought I've found a nickel, and it turned out to be a shotgun shell. Information I've found says Nickel's Metal content: Copper - 75% & Nickel - 25%. I thought shotgun shell's were brass. I've found three pre-1982 pennies so far, and the Prizm identified them solidly as pennies. Any tips so I don't keep on digging up shotgun shells? Thanks.

Upvote 0

dirtyknees

Jun 10, 2005
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White coinmaster 6000/D GEB discrim
Hey tom, I have the same prob with my detector. I have a hard time discriminating the shells. They say that nickles are hard to find sometimes, but as a newbie I tend to dig all signals at the beach and hence find the nickles (and shotgun shells :-\). I haven't tried detecting anywhere but the beach (too dry here).

Good luck

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Guys, Guys, Guys, let me tell a short story. I was out with a buddy. He has DFX and I have xlt. He got a decent signal, and I decided to check it (we do this often when we are near) Mine wouldn't give a good signal. So he digs it and its a shotgun shell. I was pissed. Not because I want to dig old shotgun shells, but because my detector did not alert me to the presence of a small round piece of brass in the ground. Stop for a minute and think of all the items that the shell could have been, and sounded the same on your detector. A watch fob, a watch, foriegn coin, old badge, some jewlery, the list goes on. Dig it, man!! Thats what were out there for. Not to see how many clad coins we can get per hour. This isn't a job, it's an adventure.

Attachments

• z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 399
  • wen9.jpg
    wen9.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 383
  • wen2.jpg
    wen2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 413
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 369
  • wen9.jpg
    wen9.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 381
  • wen2.jpg
    wen2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 376
  • finds007.jpg
    finds007.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 403

pondmn

Jul 1, 2003
Merced, Ca
VWayne1---Re the coin that has a large lip on it. When we were kids we would take a spoon from the kitchen and then take a quarter or nickle and rap the edges while rotating the coin. When the lip was big enough and the center the size of our finger we would drill the center out and have a ring. This looks like what someond did with this coin. Pondmn

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
tomfg, your metal detector is not evaluating what the target is made out of. It shows you its best GUESS of what it is by the targets electric conductivity.

OP
OP
T

tomfg

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for your replies. It makes more sense since you told me that
the detector isn't analizing metal content, but rather conductivity.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All shotgun shells are brass but some are nickel plated. Just fyi JIM

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
All shotgun shells are brass but some are nickel plated. Just fyi JIM
I know this is an old post, but all shot gun shells are not brass based. most of them are steel plated with brass. Some are plated with copper. carry a maganet with you. I have a magnet on the end of my tools and pull out plated targets all the time.

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for sure, i have some unfired all brass shells, Vietnam era. and they are making all brass shells now for the cowboy shooters, I was mostly talking about plated paper and plastic shells, they take a really good patina and look old, cool and black, I also have some new Aluminium base shell from Alcan, company. put out for reloaders.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If I am not mistaken, the prizm has 8 target IDs??? Compare that to the 191 of the DFX or V3. That means that the space between two adjacent IDs on the prizm is equal to 24 on the DFX. Shotgun shells are definitely a higher conductive target than nickels are. The DFX usually shows them in the brass range, which is about 12 numbers higher than a nickel. That is still on the same spot of the Prizm if you understand what I mean.

Keep in mind that even though my high end detectors can see the difference, I still dig ALL shotgun shells, and sometimes it pays off. It may be a war nickel, or an early Indian Head or Flying Eagle Cent. I am sure at least a few of these coins were simply ignored by previous people who did not dig shotgun signals.

Stop worrying and just dig it all!!! You will be happy next time you expect to dig a nickel and you dig a nice womans 14K gold ring!

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I have found a lot of shotgun shells and have some from circa 1890's to 1911 that are long and short brass that were paper. I found them in the river and are soild brass. The shotgun shell ends, up until plastic came out were made out of brass. I have a paper shotgun shell that I found in the snow ten years ago in a parking lot during hunting season that has no rust on it today. I have 10 year old shotgun shells that are rusty because they got a little snow on them. They made paper shotgun shells in the 1890's and maybe even earlier. I'm not trying to raise a stink but you can look up the history of shotgun shells makers on the web and you will get the dates on some of the sites.

Wolverine.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Old Dog said:
Most of the pre 1920 shells I have are all brass.
But note they are solid brass and are not paper shells.
Even the sides are brass.

The paper shells I have are from the 40s and early 50s.
Mostly obscure gages like 8, 10, 20 and 16.
The brass shells are all for the trench gun developed for WWI.

I realise that there were paper shells used as early as 1860.
I save the ones I can reload and use.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
fuzzy ID's are caused by three things -- deep metals that are harder to "read" on average , metals that are close together electrical conductivity wize and having a detector that does not have a large enought area to sort all the finds into their own lil nitches in its "slots" -- a detector with a smaller amount of slots has to "lump" more stuff together in a group --high dollar detectors simply have a larger sorting basis or "more slots" -- and thus they tend sort more finely --but they too can be fooled -- and get a "off" reading -- so there no "100%" fool proof machines out there but their are better quality "guessers" vs dig it all type machines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread