Newbie again...lookin for some assistance for a date on a sewing machine ;)

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks...I've racked my brain and exhausted all my internet skills in trying to locate a date for this item. I can pretty much tell you the history of the Domestic Sewing Machine Co. now but cannot find a similar machine...especially one that says De Luxe or Japan ?!?!? on it. Perhaps a knock off ??? Anyway, I have made quite a few interesting and fun finds as my wife and I are restoring an 1890's Victorian home. This is the latest...left in the house, stashed in a crawl space. Yes it works, the outside part of the case is a bit damaged on one side though. I have looked everywhere online and unfortunately have not been able to locate a copy of "The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines" locally to try and find it there. Any help on an actual date for this item would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Attachments

• Front2.JPG
    Front2.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Power Cords.JPG
    Power Cords.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Plates.JPG
    Plates.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
newbieprospector

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Newbie again...lookin for some assistance ;)

oops...forgot the pic of the only number on it...it's underneath.

Attachments

• Only number on it - C76404.JPG
    Only number on it - C76404.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
OP
OP
newbieprospector

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...thank you...already looked through that earlier today. I'm beginning to think it's some sort of knock-off made in Japan due to the plate and De Luxe not coming up in any searches.

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Hi Newbie:

Try www.ismacs.net . That's the International Sewing Machine Collector's Society. Your machine appears to be a part-for-part copy of a Singer; common among Japanese machine at the time. So if you can't find out anything about the history of your Domestic, you can at least find out the Singer it was copied from.

Chip V.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're barking up the wrong tree...

Since Domestic was bought out by White in 1924, your machine would have to be at least that old. I don't believe it is...

Here's a 1959 Singer machine:

featherweight3.jpg

I think, as you suspect, yours is a Japanese knock-off from the 50's or early 60's. Search some of the antique sewing machine forums and you'll find lots of questions about Japanese made "DeLuxe" machines. You won't find many answers, though...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Newbie:

Amazon has a copy of your book available for $19.77.
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-...325272/ref=pd_sim_b_img_3/105-1816079-3035607

They also have one with an almost similar title available for $29.95.
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Early-American-Sewing-Machines/dp/1574324160

You may also wish to contact your library and ask for 'interlibrary assistance'--where they will search other libraries (for a small fee) for your book. You only pay if they're successful in locating the book.

Don...

Upvote 0

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'll bookmark this and when I get home from work tonight...I'll see what I can find in the old archives (newspapers...never know :))

I love my Singer machine....have one my Mom bought 2 yrs before I was born (we won't go into how old it is...will we? LOL)

And another I bought at a yard sale for $25.00....works great and is about as old if not older than my Mom's!!! Love them!!!

Have a great day,
Annmarie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newbieprospector

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone...I'm trying to avoid buying the book just to lookup one machine, especially when it probably won't be in there if it's really made in Japan. I forgot about the interlibrary loan thing...I might just have to do that. So far, from the histories I'm reading on the different sewing machine companies I think I'll have to agree with DCMatt...it just amazes me that it would be an all cast iron knock-off when Japan didn't start producing their own machines until the 1930's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newbieprospector

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! So close! Woot Woot! Thanks! The controls are just slightly different but everything else seems to match perfectly, right down to the location of the serial number! So it looks like it is a clone with Domestic labels instead of a Modern plate! Thanks again! It has got to be the same time frame...way to close not to be!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread