Newbie Finds Including Sterling & 14K

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I've been following this forum for a little while and have been going to as many garage sales as I can find lately. I am still adjusting to the learning curve and trying to make good buys with minimal loss risk. At one community yard sale on one of the first tables, I saw two sterling silver necklaces and scooped them up for $5. At another table they had a bunch of costume jewelry, so I looked at a few pieces and saw one that caught my eye. I look inside the ring and see a hallmark but can only make out what looks like a 4. I ask the guy how much and he says $2. Okay...I'll take a shot at $2. I have the ring tested and sure enough it is 14kt gold. Now I'm totally hooked!!!

Here are some of my recent finds:

2-Italy 925 Sterling Silver Necklaces and Pendants 18g $5
14kt gold ring weighing 1 gram pure $2
Panasonic SQ-322 Cassette Tape Player with Voice Activation and two sealed cassettes $3
Craig 8mm Film Splitter made by Kalart Co. $5
Kleen Bore Police Gun Cleaning Kit .44 caliber FREE

If you can give me more information or value on any of these, it would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20121110_112857.jpg
IMG_20121114_233915.jpg

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome jewelry finds! Does the ring have a stone in it? diamond??

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome jewelry finds! Does the ring have a stone in it? diamond??

I had the same thought but it was cz. Too bad..that would have been awesome!! I don't know why someone put cz into a 14kt setting. Doesn't make sense to me.

Forkeh

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had the same thought but it was cz. Too bad..that would have been awesome!! I don't know why someone put cz into a 14kt setting. Doesn't make sense to me.

Because that makes it a couple hundred dollar engagement ring rather than a couple thousand+. There's a market for it. Young guys who want to propose, wanna get their girl something nice, but can't afford a real rock. Still, nice find!

Oh, this site will be very helpful in calculating Precious Metal Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculators for Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium just click on the button for the metal you want to calculate on the left hand side. I use it all the time. Everything else I'd suggest looking it up on Ebay. Do an advanced search and click Complete listings, that'll show you what stuff has sold for. S'how I determine a ruff fair market value. It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
crooked Jewlers have been known to swap out a real diamond to a CZ for their own benefit most people wouldn't know the difference

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread