Newbie Finds

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've been scouting different areas around where I live in order to have a better idea of where to detect when I can afford a more capable machine. Luckily I've found a few promising sites, and managed to walk away with a few goodies in the process (not counting digging my weight in trash). I'll post a few of the finds here. I apologize for being pic heavy, and the low quality lighting in the pics.
IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2589.JPG IMG_2590.JPG IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2599.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2570.JPG

Upvote 32

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok im definitely doing something wrong then... I got ONE Merc my first year which was last year...

COINgrats on all that sweet sweet silver... I wouldnt change a thing you are doing...

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your doing awesome, but your soil is unforgiving...:occasion14:

Thanks. I agree, especially the area where I found the reales and half dimes. All of them came out of the ground looking like crusty flat buttons.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More capable machine ? Looks to me like the one you are using is very capable ! Those are some excellent finds.

Thanks. Hey if you like it I'll consider trading it to you for your explorer :p

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude you are rocking it with the Bounty Hunter, Congrats on all those keepers. It's not the machine, but the location and how well you understand your detector. A majority of my keepers could have been found using a beginner to mid level machine.

I agree 100%.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really sweet assortment of finds. What machine are you thinking of upgrading to?

Thanks. I've been leaning towards a Tesoro vaquero, but the f70/f75 machines look good too.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I picked up a tracker IV at a thrift store for $35.00. I found a manual online and have only tried it a couple times. I also found some headphones for $5.00 at the Thrift store, but found that not having a volume control is gonna cause me go deaf, but I have lots of earplugs. My neighbor knocked on the door one day and asked if I by chance have a metal detector? I said I did but I don't use it that much. He said he lost his wedding band in his garden. Well after a few nails, nuts and bits of wire we found it. I should probably get that thing out more and see if I can finally experience the excitement of using a metal detector. It's just that I've always been one who hunts with his eyes and that's only good for what's on the surface, but they do work very well in discriminating the junk.

Neat story. I use a pair of $20 Sony headphones from Best Buy and no volume control either lol. And it does a pretty good job in the trashy spots. I managed to locate an on old homestead and found those reales and half dimes amongst the iron nails and other underground debris.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude if you’re finding that stuff with a bounty hunter just imagine what you’ll find with a upgraded unit

Yea, I'm curious to find out what's a little deeper down in the ground.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember a post somewhere and some guy said he went out with his wife in the woods and he got skunked but his wife pulled a spanish something er rather with the tracker iv. Cant knock the bountyhunters as much as you want to. It was my first purchased machine off craigslist for $50. Let my friend use it before he got his own. It still found stuff.

Youve got a great spot there and i bet now youre hooked into this hobby with all those sweet find! Congrats!

I'm definitely hooked!

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First detector I had back in the early 90’s was a radio shack one. Little $99 one that had the cheap little instrument panel with the almost like CB radio dial and a little Red push button pin pointer. I found my very first civil war bullet about 4 inches down with it on my parents property and I was ecstatic. Anyone can find what they want it just have to be the right place at the right time.

I had a RadioShack detector around that time as well, but I was no more than 7 or 8 years old. Didn't really know what I was doing, but I remember having fun with it. In fact I still have it, just need to take it out of storage. And I agree with being in the right location to find the good stuff.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can’t believe you would want to use another machine!! You have some amazing finds my friend!!

Thanks! And you can never have too many detectors, or so I've heard.

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gos to show the talk of expensive machines aint allways right, more like location, location, location. good job.

Thanks. I agree, and old topo maps are the best!

OP
OP
Al Bundy

Al Bundy

Dec 28, 2017
The Boot
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess its safe to say you got your moneys worth out that machine. Not a bad haul for the year. Some amazing bucket list coins. They seem to have all been sandwiched together, nearly every coin has the same damage/patina. Congrats !!

Thanks. That's correct, the reales and half dimes were found at an old homestead I located, which I assume was destroyed by a fire and damaged the coins in the process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread