Newbie Here - Fisher F2

Broevol

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly new to metal detecting, and am thinking about purchasing the F2 DD 11" package that includes the 4" and 8" coil. I don't really want to spend a lot of money to start off with because this will eventually go to my 8 year old. We will mostly be hunting coins and relics. My questions are as follows:
1) Is this a good model to start out with?
2) What is the difference between the coils? I read some reviews on the 8" coil and it seems like it only detects coins up to 6" or so. Will the 11" detect further down?
3) Do I even need the 11'' coil to start out with?
4) How important is ground balance?

thanks,
Darin

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1 Very good for the $!
2 The 11" DD will get a better depth with better separation. 8" is great to learn on.
3 Not really, just personal preference.
4 if you have hot ground it very important to get better depth and target id.
Hope that help!

MrDude

Greenie
Sep 19, 2008
The F2 is an excellent machine to start out with. It can go toe to toe with machines twice it price.
The 11" DD gets real decent depth and still maintains excellent target separation. The 4" doesn't go real deep but it's a killer in high trash areas. As far as ground balance goes, that depends. I live here in farm country and preset ground balance works just fine if you lived where the soil is highly mineralized you will want to consider a machine with adjustable ground balance.
You said you'll be coin shooting, well coins just jump out of the ground at the F2.:laughing7: Plus the machine just loves silver.

fat fred

Apr 23, 2012
savannah ga
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey! I'm a newbie too and I did a little research and decided on the F2. First time out I found a killer button. I love it. It's easy and light and you can't beat the price. The you tube videos did it for me. I got the 4, 8 and 10" coil package and wonder whether I should have went with the deal you're looking at. I found the button with the 8", tried the 4" and need more time in the field with it and have been using the 10" this week going over the place I found the button. Doesn't seem to be much difference between the 8" and the 10" but again I just starting out. I don't know much of anything! As far as depth, the button was at 2" and everything I'm finding that's interesting (civilian one piece buttons, plantation hoe heads, padlocks, some brass) is no more than 4" deep. The soil I been working in is sandy and well drained. Just my two cents -- good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread