Newbie here! Please give me some pointers!

S

SUNflowerGIRLnTX

Hi! I am new here and am embarrassed to say that all I have
is a Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter.

I bought it years ago, and never used it, and now I am interested
in trying it out. But I have lost the instructions, and I have no
clue as to were to begin to set the knobs!

Can anyone give me any pointers on the settings?

I am basically going to be going over my property, and to the school yard
hoping to find some loose change or jewelry...

I bought my grandmother's old homeplace 5 yrs ago, and this is where my family lived
for over 100 yrs....but no one has lived here since about 1980 when my granny
got too old to take care of herself. She died at 100 yrs of age in 1989.

It was grown up something awful, and after $5000 worth of dozer
work and leveling, I found a whole bunch of little things on the ground...
like old Milk bottles, tiny little bottles that my mom said may have been
medicine bottles...and some of the bottles were a pretty dark blue color.
I found LOTS of old bricks and some type of old blade, maybe off of farm equipment.

Of course none of this is worth anything, but it is nice to hold the milk bottle
and imagine that my little old granny must have served my mom milk out of it
years ago!

But, there is no telling what is on the property...if nothing else I am sure there are
old coins......and there really isn't any telling what is buried that got all mixed up and pushed around when the dozer work was being done.

Anyway, I am so glad to have found this forum!
Blessings to you and your family,
Sunny

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Hi Sunny. Welcome to the forum! You might check with First Texas for a manual. If not mistaken, your detector is pretty much the same as a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II so it should be easy to cross reference.
As for settings, look on your knobs for a small yellow dot. Those are the factory presets. They will help get you started. I think the sensitivity one is at about 11 o'clock. The discrimination should probably be set the same. For the time being, till you get a bit more familiar with the machine, you might want to dig anything that falls under the middle of the screen or higher. I found that junk signals tend to bounce around but good targets seem to repeat and lock in under their respective settings.

Sorry for the long read. Here's a pdf file on the Quickdraw II owner's manual. It should be the same as the Pioneer 202.

http://www.mercantila.com/Images/co...uick_Draw_II_Metal_Detector_Owners_Manual.pdf

OP
OP
S

SUNflowerGIRLnTX

Oh thanks so much for such a quick reply!
I will definitely check it out and put the settings on the
"factory" settings.
Thanks bunches!
Sunny

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You're very welcome. I also modified the post and added a link to an owner's manual that you should check out. Hope you have a great day and HH!

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Sounds like you have a great spot to learn in....lotsa different objects to find. What part of Texas are you located? It is infectious, once you start finding things and digging them up, you won't stop.....Good luck on your digs.

OP
OP
S

SUNflowerGIRLnTX

digdug_rita, I live in East Texas, near Tyler. Where are you from?

OP
OP
S

SUNflowerGIRLnTX

Tyler has grown so much it is hard to believe.
I live near Tyler, it is so nice to be able to live in
the country but be close enough to the city if you need
to go.

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
would love to see to now...been years since i was there.

there used to be many miles of copper wire on old glass insulators along the tracks near big sandy.

and i like to see the army surplus stores.

john

OP
OP
S

SUNflowerGIRLnTX

My favorite thing in Tyler is the GoodWill Superstore.

I have found such treasures there....Books, furniture, collectibles....
(I collect "country decor" for my home, and I am a floppy eared bunny collector, or other
farm animals.... the kind that are Muslin & stuffed and wear pretty little clothes........OK, I am silly, but it is just what I collect, LOL)

Anyway, I find all kinds of country decor at the thrift stores and Goodwills.
We go to Dallas a couple of times a year and go to all (4) of the ThriftTowns in
the DFW area, and we go crazy.....end up having so much stuff crammed
into the back seat of my truck that my son has to ride in the front with us,
and I can't see out the back window through my rearview mirror.

Isn't that called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? LOL.
Now I am sure I will get it with the treasure hunting.
Hmmmmm...

Good night!
Sunny

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
I have friends in Tyler and in Jefferson. I live a little south of Houston, but also have a place in the country in Centerville Tx (where I try to spend as much time as possible).......about 3 hours from Tyler, I think. There ought to be some really great places to detect in that part of the country?? Happy Hunting to ya

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, don't be embarrassed of your detector....we all have been their! With practice, you'll be finding the good stuff in no time at all.

Thanks for the intro and hope you learn lots from this site. HH/NS

OP
OP
S

SUNflowerGIRLnTX

digdug_rita, I lived in Houston in '89, and I loved living in a town that there was so much to do for recreation....but I really missed the country when it got right down to it!

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Sunflower, will take the country any old dayto living in Houston.
I have met an elderly man that was born and raised in Centerville (89 yrs young) and knows every nook and cranny of the area. He is getting me fixed up with permission from different folks to MD their property.....there were a lot of ex-slaves that lived there after the civil war....lot of German settlers, etc. It is so nice of him to help me this way...such a sweet man. So I am getting excited to see what he can do for me as far as permissions granted.
I know what you mean about thrift stores...have found some very good stuff there. I sell a lot on ebay and a few items I have sold came from thrift stores. The only thing about the Goodwill now is they have their own auction website....and man are the prices steep ...WHEW !!!! Later, Rita

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
welcome sunflower to the forum,great folks here with good advise,the 202 will find things i started out with one years ago & found tons of things,when pinpointing use the x pattern....swing in a X dig the center, pratice makes
perfect..... welll better lol you have to get to know your mach.starting out dig everything,if it says pulltab...
dig it...my old 202 read pulltab so i dug anyway...what i find over 3 month period over 150 civilwar bullets.
(in my yard)
after some time turn the disc knob around 5 too high & your will miss good targets.as for more info on settings
go to bounty hunter.com they make the pioneer.....good luck...need help just ask :) :) :D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread