Three years' worth of detecting finds in one thread... enjoy.

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted here in an unbelievable amount of time. Since the last time I've posted, I attended three years of law school, and moved to two different cities that featured some crazy history. Trust me, it's been insane. I have found an unbelievable amount of silver, relics, and coins that I want to update everyone on, so I figured I would start this thread by featuring some of my top finds from the past three years that I've been away from this site. Luckily, I keep track of all my digs, all my sites on a Word document for safe keeping, so I can provide exact details as needed for each incredible find. Enjoy.

7/15/2022 - Private Permission - Spokane, WA

I did my daily drive to the law school for my summer classes on this particular day, and noticed a new sign I was not used to seeing. It was one of those "petition for use, invitation for public comment" signs for properties seeking a new building permit, etc. The house in question was a 1915 built house next to an old park in Spokane, so I was immediately intrigued.

I did my research and found the application, which included the phone number of the owner. I don't typically do well with phone calls (most end in "how did you find this number? No you can't dig!") but this one, the owner gave his okay and said have fun. So I did.

The property itself gave up two mercs, a barber dime, and several wheats. so all around, a great day. But this was my prized find. It rang as a 25-26 on the Nox, and I was astonished when I did the research. Out of the ground appeared an old pin.

KFOA was one of the very first radio stations in Seattle - it was established in 1922 and operated out of the top floor of the Rhodes Department Store (later Nordstrom's) from 1924 until 1928, meaning this pin dated to between 1924 and 1928. I couldn't find any information regarding the "Big Brother Club," but from historical articles, KFOA was heavily involved in the community and hosted several key events in local media history. As far as I've searched, this is a one of a kind find that I have not seen anywhere else on the internet, meaning it's an incredibly rare find for Seattle's history.

Any info is appreciated, simply cite post #1. Cheers!

Attachments

• tempImageLvaGlZ.png
    tempImageLvaGlZ.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Upvote 3
OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/4/24 - ******* Park, *******, WA

I blur the name here because this park has proven so bountiful to many people, and I currently am riding a five hunt silver streak at this "hunted out" park. Anyways...

This evening was no different than most - it was a cold January day, and I was out at the same park I've hit so many times. This park is much more fun to hit at night - if you hit it in the daylight, you are likely to be bothered by kids who are more interested in the worms you find than the old coins.

I was gliding the Nox upon an area that was well hunted - most areas of this park were "well hunted" - and I came across a soft 33-34. I was in 4kHz, meaning this could be dang near anything from aluminum to a pull tab to a silver coin. So I flipped to multi, where I heard the same signal. This was not uncharacteristic for nails, as there were a lot of those in this park, but this signal was fainter.

I dug down, and BOOM, out pops this gorgeous beauty on edge at around 9 inches. I had heard of a couple others pulling SLQ's out of this park, but I never imagined I would join this club years later. What a rush.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #2" in your reply - thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 1.52.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 1.52.15 AM.png
    689.8 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12/20/23 - Private Permission - Seattle, WA

I got permission to this 1890s house south of Seattle - turns out there was quite a bit of history attached to it. I canvassed the yard for some time, finding modern coins, modern toys, and general junk. Finally, I struck a wheat penny, and then BOOM - I struck a barber dime. Something that at least indicated the age of this spot.

After a couple hours I finally had hit most of the yard, so I went back over a second time. This signal was right next to the walkway, and was super jumpy. After 5 minutes of digging, I pulled out this gorgeous token.

The token is to a local store, located in Georgetown, WA. Now, anyone from Seattle will tell you "Georgetown isn't a town - it's a neighbourhood!" and they're right! Georgetown is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Seattle, but for a period of about twenty years (1890-1910ish), it was actually its own town, complete with its own post office, its own town hall, and its own commerce.

Kegley's Bee Hive Store was a popular spot in Georgetown - given that the token indicates its source as a time which Georgetown was an actual town, this token likely pre-dates 1910, and serves as an amazing piece of early Seattle history.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #3" in your reply - thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.01.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.01.29 AM.png
    867.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.02.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.02.27 AM.png
    926.5 KB · Views: 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread