MA1TMcG

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Virginia beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 5500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a BH for Xmas and can not get enough!!!! I have done my yard several times and each time I find something else!!!! I live in VA Beach and plan to hit the sand this weekend!!!! I can see this new hobbie of mine taking over everything else!!!!

So I know my BH 5500 is not an elaborate machine and I feel I am starting to learn it more and more. Is it bad I want to upgrade already? Lol!!!!

Upvote 0
Congratulations on your new machine and big gold to you! :occasion14:

At this point I would stay with the machine you have. It will take some time to decide where you really enjoy hunting. Do you like parks, old home sites, encampments, beaches, all of the above? When you have tried a variety of different hunts you will better know what type of machine to buy. Oh yes, it is also a good idea to get associated with a local metal detecting club. Glad to hear your having fun! HHS

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I started out with a ace 150. A few months later I went with the ace 250. About a year after that I spent $800 on the gtx 1500. If you can believe I still wasn't satisfied, last October I spent a whopping $2400 on the minelabe ctx3030. But I go hunting almost every day. It's a hobby, Obsession. I love it. Been going on about 5 years now. I have 4 detectors now and have never regretted spending the money on any of them. I say go for it.

Your BH should work ok in the dry sand but I doubt you'll have much luck in the wet.

Hi Iukams,

I love to hear about your passion for the hobby. That Mine lab is a great machine. Do you post your finds on the forum?

I first bought a b h sharp shooter 2 to see if I liked this hoddy.Well I love it!A month later I bought my first water machine.The b h is good in dry sand but it does'nt like wet saltwater sand.I do'nt know what yours will do.Good luck and HH.

I got a BH for Xmas and can not get enough!!!! I have done my yard several times and each time I find something else!!!! I live in VA Beach and plan to hit the sand this weekend!!!! I can see this new hobbie of mine taking over everything else!!!!

So I know my BH 5500 is not an elaborate machine and I feel I am starting to learn it more and more. Is it bad I want to upgrade already? Lol!!!!
go slow and keep coil flat and use headphones if possible and watch out for rain too. HH Boris

Last edited:
Twinkletoes said:
Hi Iukams,

I love to hear about your passion for the hobby. That Mine lab is a great machine. Do you post your finds on the forum?

Yes I do sometimes. I'm still learning all the do's and don't s about it. I love it. If it would quit raining I would go today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back