mhwilson132

Greenie
Nov 22, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I found this bullet today..can anyone help identify maybe the age or caliber...it appears to be a rifle bullet, cartridge type..but that is all I can tell. Maybe someone who has more knowledge of bullets can help me out. Also, it was found approximatel 12-14 inches in the ground, behind a church that has was erected in 1955.
Thanks!! IMG_20121122_193038.jpg

Upvote 0

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately without a PRECISE measurement it is hard to determine.

Offhand, it looks to be a .30 caliber post 1900 jacketed rifle projectile.
I can tell you that it dates from the early 1900s to present, and it is from a rifle, but that is about it.

But again, that is just a guess without the exact diameter.

Watchman

Greenie
Jun 24, 2012
Kings Mountain, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Coinmaster Classic III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately without a PRECISE measurement it is hard to determine.

Offhand, it looks to be a .30 caliber post 1900 jacketed rifle projectile.
I can tell you that it dates from the early 1900s to present, and it is from a rifle, but that is about it.

But again, that is just a guess without the exact diameter.

You are correct... It's a .30 caliber rifle projectile. From a .30-.06 rifle to be exact.

OP
OP
M

mhwilson132

Greenie
Nov 22, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to both of you..it was cool finding even if it isn't old. Just makes me want to go looking even more. Thanks again!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys are corrrect. My first impression was .30 cal!

OP
OP
M

mhwilson132

Greenie
Nov 22, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm figuring that out...I've got a find I had to quit on today because it got dark. Not far from my house...I started digging near a big, old oak tree on the edge of a yard. I hit on a large spot about a foot away from base of tree. Dug down about a foot and found the remains of an old mason jar lid..had the milk glass lid liner so I know its early 20th century...a few shards of glass ...removed that from the whole..but I'm still getting mixed signals deep in the ground exactly where the jar remnants were..maybe a coin cache that was in the jar that broke or something..anyway..I'm going to go back to the whole in the morning a see whats there...maybe nothing..maybe something!

Beercanman

Feb 26, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Not to be a party pooper but those old mason jar lids fragment into a ton of pieces resulting in your mixed signal. Dig it out but don't get discouraged if it isn't the holy grail. Sounds like a good site take your time and keep coming back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread