What's new

Newbie needs advice

tazz1

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
CT
Detector(s) used
Dual Field
Sand Shark
E trac
Excal 2
Sov GT
Tek G2
Tejon
Hello everyone, I currently only hunt on land and dry salt water beaches with a tejon. I would like to get into the wet sand and waste deep in water. From the research ive done so far it seems id like excal is best but I just cant spend that kind of dough now. Im thinking a pulse machine would fit my budget better. (and yes, I get that they wont disc. like excal) Sand shark seems good but I was wondering if there were any other units out there that cost less but arent junk. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
A bit more info would go along way. let us know which part of the world your hunting in? My first advice would be not to buy a pulse detector for your first machine. It could be very troublesome for you to learn. While I am a fan of Garrett I am still holding off on the AT-Pro read as many reviews as you can and keep an open mind. some people will give a great review just because they use that brand whether its works good or not. You will need to weed through the trash so to speak.But think it would be a good detector to start with.
 
Sand shark is a good unit, your not going to find a good saltwater unit under $500 unless you buy a used one, then you may find one for maybe $400........There are a few under $400 new but they are not worth the money....

If you get a PI, hope your on a clean beach otherwise your going to spend a lot of time digging a lot of trash........
 
Id be doing most hunting in long island sound.
 
As an old timer once told me, one nice gold find will pay the difference between a good detector and a great detector. So I went from a Piranha to a CZ 20 to an Excalibur. The old guy was right, with each upgrade, my finds were upgraded as well. Now that I have a lot more experience, I am going to add a PI unit to my "tools of the water."

Chuck
 
I answered your post in the Tesoro section of the forum.
 
I too am new to beach hunting (8 months). I was limited to the dry sand and ankle deep water using my
dfx and did ok with clad and 6 rings. I knew the water was the place to be from reading hundreds of posts
on this forum. The At Pro came out and after even more forum research, I took the plunge and got one
last month. Went straight to the beach and in the water. Bingo! 1st find was a quarter. Second find was a
small gold womans bangle bracelet. I would have never been able to do that without a water detector.
I know there are much better detectors for water hunting out there and will upgrade to one after getting
enough finds with the at pro. So... For what it's worth, I would go with the at pro and enjoy the new freedom
that water hunting gives you. BTW dont go cheap on a good water scoop either. Finding a target is easy-
getting it out is a different story.
 
tabjunkie said:
I too am new to beach hunting (8 months). I was limited to the dry sand and ankle deep water using my
dfx and did ok with clad and 6 rings. I knew the water was the place to be from reading hundreds of posts
on this forum. The At Pro came out and after even more forum research, I took the plunge and got one
last month. Went straight to the beach and in the water. Bingo! 1st find was a quarter. Second find was a
small gold womans bangle bracelet. I would have never been able to do that without a water detector.
I know there are much better detectors for water hunting out there and will upgrade to one after getting
enough finds with the at pro. So... For what it's worth, I would go with the at pro and enjoy the new freedom
that water hunting gives you. BTW dont go cheap on a good water scoop either. Finding a target is easy-
getting it out is a different story.

I'm new as well and have been asking these questions of everyone, as to not make any $ mistakes. Common sense dictates..........what units are the folks using that pull up the 'great finds'.................8 times out of ten, it's an excall [not disputing other fine machines]. But most have gone the way of upgrading, as their old detector pays for itself. That's my take at any rate. I'm starting out with my great but old Garrett, dry land machine. Then will upgrade to a Garett At Pro[due to overall uses for the $]. After that, maybe an excall. I am going to wait to upgrade till each one pays for itself, as a hobby is best enjoyed with no undue stress.
Joy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom