What's new

Newbie to Magnet Fishing

Joetrikke

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Delray Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Tesoro Sand Shark
Excalibur
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just ordered a 630 pound magnet and rope. Can't wait to get started! Look forward to post some finds soon.
 
Nice, same here! I ended up going with an 1100 lb magnet and I'm nervous that I went too big :dontknow:

It already saved a pair of pliers that I dropped when I was out fishing so it's definitely handy to have!
 
You may get a laugh out of this... You will at least appreciate that you are no longer a "newbie" like me. Having tried magnet fishing many years ago, with absolutely no knowledge and a small magnet, I clicked on your post out of curiosity. I wasn't familiar with the term "magnet fishing," but guessed at what it might be. My eyes grew big when I read that you were using a 630 pound magnet--"How will he lift that thing?" I wondered. When the next post in the thread mentioned using an 1,100 pound magnet, I almost fell out of my chair.

Well, the joke is on me, obviously. I clicked onto the Magnet Fishing section and quickly learned about "pull weight." I am still chuckling at my ignorance. In the end, I still find the subject interesting and will try to learn more about the sport. Although I have two metal detectors at a cost of several thousand dollars, the thought of treasure hunting with something as basic as a magnet on a rope remains intriguing. Of course, I know magnet fishing involves some hard work, too. Nothing in life comes to us easily. Thanks for the chuckle.
 
Haha yeah, the pull weights aren't as scary as they sound unless you hook them to a super thick piece of steel. Even the pliers I pulled up could simply be pulled off the magnet with a slide and twist.
 
Just be sure you dont let a child get his finger between heavy metal and the magnet. Also have to be careful around some people who may have medical devices implanted.
 
Just be safe and smart
 
Joe, keep us informed of your new adventures and good luck. stay away from steel dock structures, don't want to get it stuck down below the water and cannot pull it off. Get yourself a plastic jar lid of a size that will slip over the business end of your magnet and duck tape a large washer to the outside. This is safety cover when not in use and during your travel times. Don't forget the lock tight.
 
Joe, keep us informed of your new adventures and good luck. stay away from steel dock structures, don't want to get it stuck down below the water and cannot pull it off. Get yourself a plastic jar lid of a size that will slip over the business end of your magnet and duck tape a large washer to the outside. This is safety cover when not in use and during your travel times. Don't forget the lock tight.

That's a good idea! I have just kept it in the box that it came in, but that's going to fall apart at some point because it's just cardboard. Having a simple thick plastic protector that snaps on is the ticket.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom