Newbie with a ton of coins and nowhere to turn...HELP!!

B

Booyah122

Hi everyone! I am definitely new to this site. For some reason my Mom decided to look up coins on the internet the day bc we happen to own a few. We decided to go get them and look at them. You just wouldn't believe what we found. There are so many. We had a little bag of foreign ones as well and spent all of last night researching and trying to figure out what they are. I live in Kansas City and we looked around on the net for a good place to take them and my Dad found a familiar name that was a relative of a friend he had as kid. Well, we took them there and this guy was SOOOOO rude. He threw the coins down after looking at the cute little bags that I had perfectly marked and said "this is just spending money". Ugh I just couldn't believe it. I thought for sure that these were a great find. Anyway after being so rudely spoken to, my Mom and I left and now, here I am....LOST . I will give you a little preview of what I have and maybe you can help me or just direct me in the right place. I would hate to just pick a price and put them on ebay. Most of this money was saved by my grandmother who owned a grocery store with my grandpa. Thanks again. I've been reading through some of these posts and you all seem to have found a great place here!!

Ok, here is a list of what I have:

10cents paper-1863
Cincuenta Centavos(Mexican bill)
*i have a few other bills but they are a little tattered and I can't make them out*

1876 Commemorative Sitting Liberty Half Dollar
1892 Commemorative Columbian Half Dollar

9 Morgan Silver Dollars with Mint Mark "S" (1879,1881,1894,1880,1900,1890,1921)
5 Morgan Silver Dollars with Mint Mark "O" (1880,1882,1890,1894,1900)
12 Morgan Silver Dollars with Mint Mark Unidentified
2 Morgan Silver Dollars with Mint Mark "D" (1921)

9 Silver Quarters (1 sitting 1 standing liberty, mostly Barber)

14 Liberty Dollars

2 Bicentennial Dollars

Silver Half Dollars (4 Liberty/1 Ben Franklin/4 Barber)

13 Kennedy Half Dollars '64-'69 (2 Cenntenial in another box I found)

A small bag full of old nickles (Buffalo,Barber,Indian Head,Liberty Peace,present day appearance as well)

3 Booker T. Washington Half Dollars 1946

Around 15 or 16 Dimes (1926 Mercury Dime Mint Marked "W"/Barber/Liberty)

A small bankbag full of pennies including a bag of indian head pennies

2 Susan B. Anthony Dollars 1979

1 Large "United Snakes of America" "One Dam" coin from the 1896 Presidential Campaign between William McKinley and William Jennings Bryan

1 1925 Gold Indian Head 2 1/2 Dollars

Arizona State Tax Commission Coin

Masonic Token 1 penny with marking K.S.H.T.W.S.S.T

*FOREIGN*

Diez Gramos 10cents Mexico
3 1884 pesos
1 1883 1 centavo
Canadian 5 cents 1903-H (Spanish-Phillipines Carolus 1111 8 Reales Coin)
Tempo Tsuho (Chinese) 1835-1870 (If you haven't seen one of these...google it...it's pretty cool and took us forever to find online!!)
Estado de Durango 1/4 coin 186?
8 Reales coin Republica of Mexico 1860 (Survived Maximillian Empire)
Queen Victoria 1 penny (Great Britain 1901)
Mexican Libertad 1/4 de real 1865
50 Pfennig-Germany
2 Groschen-Austria 1954
10 cents Canada 1936 King George V

Last but not least....

A love token pin with the initials "RC" on one side of an 1851 Sitting Liberty (this one's my favorite...just thinking of who may have owned it and why they received it...aaah!!!

Ok, well, this is about it leaving off a few Kennedys here and there.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! WE DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ALL OF THESE!!!

thanks so much!!

Beth

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some dealers / collectors can be real picky. They are looking for key dates not common coins. But he should have still sat down with you all and gave you a run down.

One thing that most people do not realise is that just because a coin is old does not meen it holds extreme value. You have a nice little collection there and would advise that you hang on to it unless you are really straped for cash.

If you feel that you have to sell them I will give you a fair price for them. You can contact me here [email protected]

Jer

Can we corrispond like this on this forum? If not will a mod just delete my post?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Try this site, Boo. www.pcgs.com Look down the left side of the page for PCGS Price Guide. And look on the back of the Mercury Dimes for the mintmark. It'll be at the bottom, just to the left of the staff. The W on the front is the designer's mark. Have fun!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the coin dealer was trying to get over on you, the Morgan silver dollars are worth several hundred dollars alone, especially key dates. Some of the coins you have really are just spending money but most of it is collectable. I'm not an expert but I do have a clue, LOL! HH, Mike

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I know very little about the value of coins, but I would suggest going to your local library to see if they have the Whitman Blue Book Handbook of United States Coins and the Whiteman Redbook of United States Coins.

The Blue Book gives you the prices that a coin shop would buy the coins for.

The Red Book gives retail prices. Both books give information on how to grade the coins,photos,and other information. If you decide to purchase the books from a coin shop The Blue Book costs $9.95 and The Red Book is $14.95 with the spiral binding.

I would also suggest going to 3 or 4 coin shops and see what they offer for each coin. Don't sell them to the coin shop,just get an idea what they are offering. Write the prices down and tell the coin dealer that you need to talk it over with your family first. I would gather the information and see if it corresponds with the Blue Book values. If so the coin dealer/shop is being fairly honest with you as to how much they would pay for the coins.

However, I would take this information and then compare it to The Red Book values and I would try to list a couple of coins of ebay with values a little less than what The Red Book has listed. Just to test the waters. I'm 99% certain you will make much more money selling them on ebay than to a coin shop. Ebay takes a lot of time,and you need clear photos and detailed information in your ebay listing. Remember you will also have a sellers fee, final value fee and if you accept PayPal- a PayPal fee. This will cut into the profit. So it's all up to you as to how much time and effort you want to put into it.

Personally, I would keep the coins unless I needed the cash. Heck, I'm unemployed and need the cash but I just can't part with my coins that I currently have. LOL Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Hi Beth,
I just realized you made a duplicate post, so I will copy onto this post the reply I made to the other posting....

Beth,
If you are able to make it to the library, take a look at two books.
The first is "A Guide Book of United States Coins" by R. S. Yeoman. It is issued yearly; try to get the latest year's version if possible. The 2007 edition is already out, but any version since probably 2000 will do. This book is also known as the Red Book. It has great pictures of the coins and information on how to tell the grade, or condition, of the coin. The value of any coin will vary greatly, depending on grade. The prices in this book, however, are not what you would be able to sell the coins for, but rather they are approximately what you might expect a coin dealer to charge.
The second book is "Handbook of United States Coins", also by R. S. Yeoman. This book is also issued yearly, and is also known as the Blue Book. This book has the approximate prices you might be able to sell the coins for. Please use the latest edition possible, because the resale value of coins are going up every year.
Also take a look at this web site, managed by PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service):
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/
Hope this helps.
Good luck in your search!
Bob

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I collect Morgans and would be interested in buying, if they're in good shape. PM me with scans of the Morgans, and I'll make you an offer. Save the buyers and sellers fees on e-bay, lol!

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
af1733 said:
And put that 1894-O Morgan in a safe place. Ka-ching!

Worth $72 graded vf. Not quite enough to retire on, but if every coin you had was worth 72 times face you could have one heck of a party.

John

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, buy the red book!!! I was in your position recently, with a huge cache of coins. We had hundreds and hundreds, including some CC coins, a 1941/2 dime, etc. That book saved my life when selling these coins (they were my wifes G-ma's, her husband was a collector).

Also, go through the book and use some common sense when deciding the condition of the coins. If any are in remotely good shape (no real big scratches/nicks, and fit the book description for a good coin) have them graded by PCGS. This will increase their value by a lot. It's more than worth it.

Also, remember if the coin has really dark colorations on it, that DOES NOT mean the value is any less. I sold a coin for cheap that was dark, but was otherwise in great shape, and I think I could have got 30 times what I did for it had I sent it off to get graded...

That book isn't a definitive priceing point, but using some common sense it should get you fair market value for most coins.

If you find any CC coins, let me know. My dad loves these.

Above all, have some fun :) It's a great learning experience. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread