What's new

Newcomers....fly by night or here to stay?

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Do you think the high price of silver is responsible for so many newcomers to the hobby?

Or perhaps it is a growing sense of dread concerning the economy?

Based on the price of silver, 2008 should have been the year that this hobby exploded. On March 17th 2008 silver traded at 20.92 an ounce.

Today we are still almost 3 dollars an ounce under that high.

The recent troubles JP Morgan has had trying to keep their silver manipulation a secret have (IMO) fueled most of the recent rise in silver prices. I'm sure a lot of pressure is being levied to hold this down until it all blows over, but considering silver has risen in price everyday for the past 10 or so days does not bode well for them I think.

My point here is all the press concerning this could make it a more crowded playing field for us as well.


Did you notice a lot more people doing CRH in 2008?

Personally I got started in 2009 so I wouldn't know. I know that the reasons I got into it were purely for the fun of it, and the price of silver and other factors didn't even weigh in on it.
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is the economy or price of silver that keeps most CRHers hunting. In fact, I would bet most of the CRHers here would keep doing it even if silver dropped in half in price. It might for a low percentage, but not the majority.

I was buying/investing in junk silver for a couple of years before I started CRHing. I simply did not know that one could still find silver coins in this modern age in decent amounts. I found a different coin roll hunting site online that mentioned it and I went and bought several hand rolls from the bank and scored a good number of 40%ers in each roll. I was hooked then and started buying boxes and although I have quit a few times, I keep coming back.

I think an interest in coins/silver gets one started, then when they hit a decent find the "addiction" part kicks in due to the fun of the "treasure hunting" aspect of CRHing. The "addiction" part is reinforced by the added benefit that the silver finds happen to be worth more than the face value of the finds. Also, there is the fact that sometimes one finds an old or rare coin while doing this.

How long a person remains CRHing will depend on their "addiction" level. If they really are just doing it for the money gain alone, they will quickly burn out and go on to something else in that there are a million better ways to make a profit based on hours invested/returns produced.

If they are hard core "addicts" to CRHing, they will continue on even in the face of skunk boxes and rolls. I guess I am in the hard core "addict" group, and I mean no disrespect to those CRHers who don't like being labled a hard core "addict". I believe many are also in that group but don't want to admit it. Sort of like the heavy drinker who says "I am not an alcholic, I can quit whenever I want", etc. Only a CRHing addiction is not physically harmful (except maybe on your back from lifting boxes) and will not bankrupt you (also can make you money if you are lucky).

One interesting similarity between CRHing and other addictions is that I have seen on this forum, too much of it can affect one's marriage or relationship sort of like other addictions. I have seen a few on here say that their significant other makes them cut back or gives them hell for CRHing too much or at certain times (like on vacation, etc).

Jim
 
Iti s my opinion the Markets are entirely manipulated, beyond that the only correlation that seems to hold up that coincides with rise in Silver is the price of Oil, it is near $87 Barrel today and Silver is over $18. My thought is Oil is a real commodity- everyone needs it- when it's price rises Gold & Silver will or at least should rise as they are real money, and yes the economy despite the what will call propaganda saying otherwise- the economy is NOT improving (yes the Gov's printing of cash and passing it out, e.g. Census jobs distorts temporarily the FACTS), but beyond repair & recovery itself- the real debt is way too far gone, there is no possible way to pay it back or down, we are finished; the problem is it was a calculated collapse which means they planned it as a means to bring in a New World Order & it is here, lawlessness is in control of our gov top to bottom- things will get sooo bad it will shock US how bad things really are before long! We have Madd men in seats of power.
 
jim4silver said:
If they really are just doing it for the money gain alone, they will quickly burn out and go on to something else in that there are a million better ways to make a profit based on hours invested/returns produced.


I couldn't agree more Jim.

After Golden Silver's run in with those goons I started keeping very detailed records of what I find, their value, and the expenses involved.

I do this for fun but it would take a fool not to be prepared for the day when someone tries to tax you on it.

From January through the end of March, I lost a little over 11 dollars.

There were days when I found a lot of silver and days when I found none but I kept at it because the fun is in looking for it.

If this hobby was about making money I would have quit long ago.
 
obediah said:
Iti s my opinion the Markets are entirely manipulated, beyond that the only correlation that seems to hold up that coincides with rise in Silver is the price of Oil, it is near $87 Barrel today and Silver is over $18. My thought is Oil is a real commodity- everyone needs it- when it's price rises Gold & Silver will or at least should rise as they are real money, and yes the economy despite the what will call propaganda saying otherwise- the economy is NOT improving (yes the Gov's printing of cash and passing it out, e.g. Census jobs distorts temporarily the FACTS), but beyond repair & recovery itself- the real debt is way too far gone, there is no possible way to pay it back or down, we are finished; the problem is it was a calculated collapse which means they planned it as a means to bring in a New World Order & it is here, lawlessness is in control of our gov top to bottom- things will get sooo bad it will shock US how bad things really are before long! We have Madd men in seats of power.


JP Morgan is in a corner now Obediah.

Everyone knows they are bluffing with the short selling now, and it wont be long at all before someone with a lot of money sees the chance to make literally MILLIONS of dollars in a few days.

All they have to do is buy 1000 contracts to buy silver at a certain price. This would cost 5 million dollars. At the conclusion of the contract, they demand to be able to buy and take possession of the silver, and JP Morgan is forced to go out in the market and purchase silver at market prices which will be rising dramatically.

Just a matter of time. And I don't think we will have to wait very long.

Silver has risen every day for the past 2 weeks and it looks like it will be above 18.25 by the end of the day... IMO silver is already in play and JO Morgan is going to get thrashed.

FYI COMEX silver futures will expire this year at the end of each month. I have heard that JP Morgan has already spent Billions of dollars trying to buy up contracts set to expire because it will bankrupt them if they don't.
 
obediah said:
Iti s my opinion the Markets are entirely manipulated, beyond that the only correlation that seems to hold up that coincides with rise in Silver is the price of Oil, it is near $87 Barrel today and Silver is over $18. My thought is Oil is a real commodity- everyone needs it- when it's price rises Gold & Silver will or at least should rise as they are real money, and yes the economy despite the what will call propaganda saying otherwise- the economy is NOT improving (yes the Gov's printing of cash and passing it out, e.g. Census jobs distorts temporarily the FACTS), but beyond repair & recovery itself- the real debt is way too far gone, there is no possible way to pay it back or down, we are finished; the problem is it was a calculated collapse which means they planned it as a means to bring in a New World Order & it is here, lawlessness is in control of our gov top to bottom- things will get sooo bad it will shock US how bad things really are before long! We have Madd men in seats of power.

"Madmen in seats of power"
This week I listened to 3 seperate interviews of Congressmen, all of whom voted for the Obamacare
Here's is what I heard
1. Congressman Speaking to a Navy Admiral over his concern that the Island of Guam may capsize due to over population.
2.That the Constitution is a living document and that everything we do in Congress has nothing to do with the Constitution
3. "I don't care about the Constitution".
So do we have madmen occupying Congress? Judge for yourself
Rich
 
dont know about everybody else but for me it is Obama and google. After the goverment started printing money like crazy i started looking into gold and silver.
I figured silver coins were easy to learn and had low mark ups . While learning and researching on google the treasure net forum came up and here i am today driving around banks looking for treasure. As long as i have free time and get rewards i will stay.
 
I started roll hunting 3 years ago, if I make a buck at it, great, (I'm still waiting). I'm in this purely as a collector, so I really don't care. ffd
 
As a newbie and a lifetime collector, I can say I'm here to stay - no matter where the price of silver goes...unless my banks start charging fees to order and/or dump. I can't justify paying a fee for a box of halves that is 90% likely to be a skunk. If the fee is for ordering only, I will switch to handrolls entirely. If they charge to dump, then I'm out. I could take the money I would pay for fees and purchase more coins than I could find with the same money.

The main reason I got into this is to add to the ol' coin collection. The plan was to add a few Bens, Walkers, silver dimes, pre-Jefferson nickels (and wars of course), and wheaties to the collection and hopefully find enough 40%ers and copper cents to parlay them into some rare date coins and/or gold coins. At the present rate, I'll purchase my first gold coin in about 6 years. ;D Maybe someday I'll get lucky and dig one up with the DFX.

I do enjoy "the search", but I have to admit it is frustrating to open skunk box after skunk box. Its a lot like fishing. Fishing can be fun, but CATCHING is always fun! ;D

My dad got me started collecting way back when I was just a young lad. He'd throw all his change in a jar. When it got full, we'd go through it together looking for silver and wheaties. I have done the same thing my whole life. We talked about CRHing way back then (mid-to-late 70s), but never did. I wish we would have. I bet the finds would have been tremendous...compared to today anyway. My dad's uncle used to CRH back when coins were still made of silver. I can just imagine what his collection looked like.
 
placerman said:
obediah said:
Iti s my opinion the Markets are entirely manipulated, beyond that the only correlation that seems to hold up that coincides with rise in Silver is the price of Oil, it is near $87 Barrel today and Silver is over $18. My thought is Oil is a real commodity- everyone needs it- when it's price rises Gold & Silver will or at least should rise as they are real money, and yes the economy despite the what will call propaganda saying otherwise- the economy is NOT improving (yes the Gov's printing of cash and passing it out, e.g. Census jobs distorts temporarily the FACTS), but beyond repair & recovery itself- the real debt is way too far gone, there is no possible way to pay it back or down, we are finished; the problem is it was a calculated collapse which means they planned it as a means to bring in a New World Order & it is here, lawlessness is in control of our gov top to bottom- things will get sooo bad it will shock US how bad things really are before long! We have Madd men in seats of power.


JP Morgan is in a corner now Obediah.

Everyone knows they are bluffing with the short selling now, and it wont be long at all before someone with a lot of money sees the chance to make literally MILLIONS of dollars in a few days.

All they have to do is buy 1000 contracts to buy silver at a certain price. This would cost 5 million dollars. At the conclusion of the contract, they demand to be able to buy and take possession of the silver, and JP Morgan is forced to go out in the market and purchase silver at market prices which will be rising dramatically.

Just a matter of time. And I don't think we will have to wait very long.

Silver has risen every day for the past 2 weeks and it looks like it will be above 18.25 by the end of the day... IMO silver is already in play and JO Morgan is going to get thrashed.

FYI COMEX silver futures will expire this year at the end of each month. I have heard that JP Morgan has already spent Billions of dollars trying to buy up contracts set to expire because it will bankrupt them if they don't.
JP Morgan is a deniable asset [Dept] of our Fed Gov, it does it's bidding in Markets.
 
Here to stay. I am new to the forum, but not so new to CRH. I collect coins, I don't hoard silver for its value. Last week I traded 108 silver dimes for 3 Morgans, 3 Walkers, and some misc coins (IH's, a 2center, and a couple others). So I will be doing this as long as I don't have to pay fees. I am small scale compared to alot of you guys ($1,000 a week) and I mostly hunt dimes and quarters. I metal detect for the same reason. Clad, silver or gold, it all goes back into the coin collection.
 
dave5710 said:
Here to stay. I am new to the forum, but not so new to CRH. I collect coins, I don't hoard silver for its value. Last week I traded 108 silver dimes for 3 Morgans, 3 Walkers, and some misc coins (IH's, a 2center, and a couple others). So I will be doing this as long as I don't have to pay fees. I am small scale compared to alot of you guys ($1,000 a week) and I mostly hunt dimes and quarters. I metal detect for the same reason. Clad, silver or gold, it all goes back into the coin collection.
Welcome to the forum, friend! I like your style.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom