What's new

Newspaper Rock, UT, Petroglyphs

rginn

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
9,220
Reaction score
13,578
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summit County, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was down here yesterday and took a few pics. For those interested in Four Corners various glyph styles, this is like a primer. Located about 30 miles NW of Monticello UT. A very large panel, over 600 figures, and dates back 2,000yrs. It contains figures left by Archaic, Anasazi, Fremont, Navajo, Pueblo, & Anglo. For some reason everybody who came through here felt compelled to leave their mark. I was interested in one set of glyphs not in the main panel, nobody ever photographs them, that look a whole lot like some of the Spanish markings I've seen. I didn't post pics of those right now.
 

Attachments

  • 9-18z.webp
    9-18z.webp
    119.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 9-18aa.webp
    9-18aa.webp
    107.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 9-18bb.webp
    9-18bb.webp
    111.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 9-18cc.webp
    9-18cc.webp
    116.2 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
I can see why it's called that, also interesting how similar imagery is found in the Southwest.
 
That is very interesting. Thanks so much for sharing.
 
That is awesome :thumbsup:
 
Been there several times, great part of Utah for camping..
 
Very nice and interesting. We have a few idiots here that like to destroy these areas with graffiti and shoot at them. (?)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom