next time ill sell on ebay!!

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
next time i'll sell on ebay!!

went to the scrap yard in the town i live in today. took in a little bit just to see what the prices were like this week, 20 pounds of copper wire, clean bright stuff, had 2 pounds of brass, and 18 pounds of aluminum from hard drives and such. got a whoping 30 dollars!! what a joke, the next closet yard that will pay is 45 miles, but i guess in the long run the trip would have been more worth it, if they are paying anything. ill just sell my shit on ebay from now on prices on there are triple what i got!

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: next time i'll sell on ebay!!

I feel yer pain! I took in a load last summer, Aluminum cans, copper lil bit of brass, alum window frames. Thought I had somethin til they gave me 75 bucks. I was lookin a lot more! Bastids.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010

DemonWolfe said:
went to the scrap yard in the town i live in today. took in a little bit just to see what the prices were like this week, 20 pounds of copper wire, clean bright stuff, had 2 pounds of brass, and 18 pounds of aluminum from hard drives and such. got a whoping 30 dollars!! what a joke, the next closet yard that will pay is 45 miles, but i guess in the long run the trip would have been more worth it, if they are paying anything. ill just sell my --deleted-- on ebay from now on prices on there are triple what i got!

Looks like they did not pay you for the copper!
12 lbs ins #2 wire by me would be $13.20
2 lbs brass would be $ 3.40
18 lbs extruded alum would be $13.50
Sub total $30.01

20 lbs #2 copper would be $61.00

What prices did you get for this stuff????

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.

well when he rented a shop on the other side of town, he would write it all down and you would get a copy with all the prices and amounts on it, now he works out of a semi trailer and figures everything up on his phone and hands you some money, no receipt, no amounts or anything, a waste of my time, i did hear one of the guys tell someone else that aluminum was 30 cents a pound.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When he told me 30 bucks I would have told him forget it, I will keep the scrap and he can keep his pennies.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We had a guy like that here. When he told me the price, I said "you gotta be poopin me!" Started picking my stuff up off the scale. He said what are you doing? Told him I'm gonna take it to the yard down the road. Funny how he seemed to have mis calculated. I went down the road. Went back a month or so later & he remembered me & gave me a good price. They count on you just standing there with your hands in your pockets going welllllllll OK. My other phrase to hit em with is "This ain't pawn Stars!" You should remember they usually aren't the only game in town. Unless you need the money or space, Hold onto what you got till you got enough to make the trip to the other yard worth your while.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have told him to go f^$* himself. I just sold 19lbs of bare bright and 20 pounds of unstripped and pipe along with 2 lbs of brass for $126.57 last week.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.

problem is he doesnt tell the guys he has working there what the prices are, and their so dimwitted that thy dont have a clue, so he weighed all my stuff and wrote it down and threw it into their piles as he was weighing it, then the "boss" wasnt there and i had to wait almost an hour for him to get back to get my measly 30 bucks, driving 45 miles the next time to get a better price seems a little more apealing now, even though that yard doesnt pay anything close to the prices i see on here.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Man, I think you got screwed.

20 pounds of clean #1 copper? That alone should have been $64.

If you go back....tell them "keep my scrap separate."

My local yard always keeps your scrap in a pile, and they don't sort it into their bins until you've left the place with money in hand.

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.

yeah its amazing this place is still in buisness, but it would appear that they get plenty of it the way they just pile all the scrap around, huge piles of everything everywhere. i told one of them that its amazing they dont get stuff stolen all the time the way they leave it, called out there the other day for can price, still only offering 30 cents, place 30 miles from here is the same and thats all they take and pay you for, 45 miles from here qouted me 40 cents.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008

Rule #1. Never, an I mean NEVER put your scrap on the scale until you know the price you are going to get paid. Don't be afraid to take your scrap back if you think you are getting low-balled. Take it back home. It's your scrap until you get paid for it.

Rule #2. Always watch the scale. Make sure your scrap is centered on the scale, and always note the weights, even if you have to write them down on a tablet. It's you money, protect it!

Rule #3. Watch the tare weights. Make sure the tare weight is correct. If the bin you are throwing your scrap in says 300 pounds, make sure the tare on your payment slip is 300 pounds.

Rule #4. Always review your payment before you leave the scalehouse. If something ain't right, now's the time to fix it.

Rule #5. Always call around to other yards to see what they are paying. If the yard 50 miles away is paying more, ask your yard to match it or you will take it over there. They don't know if you will or not and nine time out of ten they will match the price.

Rule #6. The more the better. Save your scrap as long as you can. You will get more money per pound for 200 pounds of copper than you will for 20 pounds. Always try to know what your scrap weighs before you go to the yard.

Hope these tips help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread