apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone used Nic-a-Date? From what I understand, it is a liquid that is wiped (or brushed) on a coin that has no date. The chemical brings out the date. But, does the product bring out the date just for a moment or so and then vanish again? Does it leave a "ring" or other marking once the date is exposed?

I have a few coins I would like to experiment with, as the coins are just setting around anyway.

Any comments or thoughts?

apush :read2:

Upvote 0
you can still read the date later - it is always obvious that you used chemicals - most collectors believe that you have "ruined" the coin - the key dates frequently show up on ebay at 10% to 25% of the catalog value for good.
By key dates I mean the 1916/1916; the 1914/3; 1937-d three legged bufallo and the 1918/17-d. I only try to lift coins with mintmarks and tried to make a complete set of lifted dates but rapidly learned that you almost never find a slick from the last page of the folder. The chemical will not lift the date on a dug slick - for those you have to clean of the date area with a brillo pad before the chemical will work. have fun. siegfried schlagrule

If you look on eBay at 'acid restored' nickels you'll some examples. I leaves a mark but what's a no date nickel worth? I use it on all my dateless buffs. works on the mint mark also.

Hi Apush,
Using that chemical on the buffalo nickels that you can't possibly read the date will bring the date back, but leaves a little stain that is noticable. But, it's okay just for your collection. Most dealers won't buy the coins once the chemical has been used on them. After all, you wouldn't know the date unless you used the chemical anyway...., so what the heck.
Stay well
rileyboy

I too have uised it on dateless nickels. Since the date is already gone the value is worthless anyway. So by using the chemical at least I know what date it iS.

I use a drop. Just drop it on and let it sit a little, then rub or wash it off. It leaves a markw here it was, but at least I can see the date.

And it works ONLY on nicklels, so make sur eyou don't ruin a dime or other coin where it will not work.

The stuff is definitely worth it though for those old buffaloes where you can't see what year they are. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back