What's new

Nic-A-Date

klava

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
432
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
For those who dont know this is a product that restores the dates on a Buffal nickel...

My question is to anyone who has used it or thought of using it. I know that it is frowned upon in the numismatic community but a dateless Buffalo isnt worth much anyway. Im thinking of giving it a shot. Please post your pro's and con's here.

PS i only have a couple Buffalos atm anyway.
 
Upvote 0
Cheap & awesome!

I'm with you - no dates aren't worth much but rare, restored dates are worth something especially on ebay.
 
Would seem alot easier to coming close to getting a full set out of circ lol

Plus it would be like CRH all over again. What will it be lol
 
What goods a coin if you can't read the date. I say go for it. :thumbsup:
 
If you pick some up, I am bringing my datelss buff when I pass through there :)
 
I've used it for years and put together almost a complete set of acid dates. If you get lucky enough to get a rare one such as the 1918/17, you can still get it slabbed by ANACS or NCS and get a decent price for it. Plus it's just fun to see what dates you might find.

Generally dealers buy the dateless ones for resale to be made into Jewelry.
 
I oughta try this, a few years ago I got suckered into buying a roll of Buff. Nickels from HSN that were supposed to be full dates, but when they finally sent them to me (like 2 month later) I only found 5 or 6 coins with readable dates. It was something like $40, so in this case the price was too good to be true.

I will NEVER buy from HSN ever again, I don't recommend anybody else buys from them either. >:(
 
Big Nic-A-Date fan here! I bought my little bottle almost ten years ago, used on over 100 coins and it's still 95% full. I even bought a dateless roll for fun and found a 21-S.

The argument that it destroys a coin's value is pretty silly...how much value did a dateless buffalo have in the first place? I've seen N-A-D key dates go for $25+ on eBay.

Buy it! It's one of the few products that does exactly what it's supposed to do extremely well.
 
What kind of acid is it? I have a bottle of nitric acid for testing silver.

Do you think it would work?
 
Thanks for all the reply Im just gonna have to go ahead and order a bottle.

Dan it only costs about 5 bucks so its up to you if you want to risk it with the acid you have
 
Immy said:
If you can live with the discoloration, which is no big deal to me, than you'll love it.
That sure looks like nitric acid burn to me. Does the same to silver. Couldn't hurt it's not worth much anyway.
 
cyberdan said:
Immy said:
If you can live with the discoloration, which is no big deal to me, than you'll love it.
That sure looks like nitric acid burn to me. Does the same to silver. Couldn't hurt it's not worth much anyway.

Years ago there was a product similar to Nic-A-Date for silver coins. Haven't seen it advertised in years. It was the same size bottle but a different color liquid
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom