What's new

Nic-A-Date

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,821
Reaction score
76,261
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for those who don't know

* I have never had it Work on dug Buffalos



1771253997632.webp
 
Well, one can sometimes coax a date using this product. Could find a rare date. Or not. At the very least, you end up with a damaged common date. At worst, a damaged rare date.

Personally, I do not see the point. Others may have their own opinions. No wrong choices, just understand that once you use nic-a-date, you damage the coin.
 
I look at it This way,

000bbb.webp


Rare Date
000aaa.webp


Would you rather have a Damaged
1918/7-D worth maybe $400. Give Or Take

Or a no Date Buffalo When Stepping in a Coin Store With it for .06
1771308346647.webp

Untill You Know for sure it's only worth a Dollar Tops.

Even Big Time Dealers Prefer Damaged Over Slugs when Selling.
Unless they are Buying :tongue3:
 
Last edited:
A damaged 1918/7-D Buffalo nickel is a highly valuable, major key date overdate error, with even heavily damaged or low-grade examples often selling for over $500–$1,000+. The "7" is visible under the "8" in the date. Damaged examples (corrosion, scratches, cleaned, or acid-treated) are frequently sold with professional details grading, retaining high collector interest due to the rarity of the 1918/7-D.
Key Details on Damaged 1918/7-D Buffalo Nickels:
  • Value: Even with "Details" (damage), these coins are rarely cheap. Examples in low grades (AG-VG) with damage (cleaned,, acid-treated) often list for $400 to over $1,400.
  • Significance of "Details": Because this is a major key date (one of the most important Buffalo nickel varieties), collectors often purchase them "damaged" because a perfect, high-grade specimen can cost tens of thousands or up to $400,000.
  • Common Damage Types: These coins are often found with environmental damage, corrosion, or severe scratches.
  • Acid Treatment: Many of these coins were found via "acid date" treatments, which reveal the date on worn coins but leave a characteristic etched, rough surface that classifies them as "damaged" or "details".
 
I Used to be able to Buy Nic-A-Date At the Whites Dealer for Less
Then $10.00

Google Now Says
000aaa.webp

BEWARE !
Sellers on Ebay Charge amost 4 Times as Much These Days.
$26.95 - $34.95 :icon_scratch:
BEWARE !
 
Last edited:
I Used to be able to Buy Nic-A-Date At the Whites Dealer for Less
Then $10.00

Google Now Says
View attachment 2244632
BEWARE !
Sellers on Ebay Charge amost 4 Times as Much These Days.
$26.95 - $34.95 :icon_scratch:
BEWARE !
On the big E they want ~30$ AND charge me ~30$ for shipping. No Way! 😲🤮🤬
 
It’s pretty sad the the US mint, which had been in business since 1793, would design coins that lose the date so quickly. The buffalo nickel and standing liberty quarter are the worst examples of failure at the mint.
 
When I was a kid in the 70s, my Dad used nik-a-date on Buffaloes, just to help me fill my book, I don’t remember how many I had, but it wasn’t a full set. In high school, we got our house robbed, lost my entire collection, pisses me off to this day.
So not too much later, I started coin roll hunting, to help rebuild my collection. I get a bunch of rolled nickels, and I find several Buffalos that’d been nik a dated. I think that pissed me off more.
Fast forward to 40 years later, and I’ve acquired hundreds of dateless nickels over the years, junk from coin clubs, crh, random worthless stuff that I don’t have any use for. So at this point, my Buffalo nickel book is 100% complete, took me a lot of years, and a lot of money. So those extra junk nickels? Yeah… I did it. Got me the nik-a-date, just for shits and giggles. I was able to identify some early teen’s mint marks, and a few 1913 varieties. Now each of them have that ugly stain on the date, but so what. So I guess I’m lucky to be in a position that I can ruin coins, without worrying about ruining them.
 
When I was a kid in the 70s, my Dad used nik-a-date on Buffaloes, just to help me fill my book, I don’t remember how many I had, but it wasn’t a full set. In high school, we got our house robbed, lost my entire collection, pisses me off to this day.
So not too much later, I started coin roll hunting, to help rebuild my collection. I get a bunch of rolled nickels, and I find several Buffalos that’d been nik a dated. I think that pissed me off more.
Fast forward to 40 years later, and I’ve acquired hundreds of dateless nickels over the years, junk from coin clubs, crh, random worthless stuff that I don’t have any use for. So at this point, my Buffalo nickel book is 100% complete, took me a lot of years, and a lot of money. So those extra junk nickels? Yeah… I did it. Got me the nik-a-date, just for shits and giggles. I was able to identify some early teen’s mint marks, and a few 1913 varieties. Now each of them have that ugly stain on the date, but so what. So I guess I’m lucky to be in a position that I can ruin coins, without worrying about ruining them.
I agree. Nic them all!
 
When I was a kid in the 70s, my Dad used nik-a-date on Buffaloes, just to help me fill my book, I don’t remember how many I had, but it wasn’t a full set. In high school, we got our house robbed, lost my entire collection, pisses me off to this day.
So not too much later, I started coin roll hunting, to help rebuild my collection. I get a bunch of rolled nickels, and I find several Buffalos that’d been nik a dated. I think that pissed me off more.
Fast forward to 40 years later, and I’ve acquired hundreds of dateless nickels over the years, junk from coin clubs, crh, random worthless stuff that I don’t have any use for. So at this point, my Buffalo nickel book is 100% complete, took me a lot of years, and a lot of money. So those extra junk nickels? Yeah… I did it. Got me the nik-a-date, just for shits and giggles. I was able to identify some early teen’s mint marks, and a few 1913 varieties. Now each of them have that ugly stain on the date, but so what. So I guess I’m lucky to be in a position that I can ruin coins, without worrying about ruining them.
I had a chance to buy 20-30 full date Buffalo's for $20CAD. They don't demand that big of a price up here sometimes.
 
Great posting Jeff. I love this site. There are so many things can be done to earn extra money !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom