What's new

Nice Hunt Today, Help with small button?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bev
  • Start date Start date
B

Bev

Guest
Went to a park in Southern Rhode Island today and did pretty well with the clad. Found a thimble, tent peg, a Seventh Day Adventist tie tack and I think this a small button with the shank missing. It seems like it's an anchor inside a triangle. Can anyone help ID it for me?
 

Attachments

  • small button.webp
    small button.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 482
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    83.1 KB · Views: 497
That is a Pathfinder button.

Pathfinders are the Seventh Day Adventist youth organization kinda like Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

I recognized the sword and shield from when I was a kid. I made it to Ranger class. Pathfinders do all the camping and scouting type stuff as well as engage in mission related service.

Turn the button 180 degrees and it will be in the right orientation.
 
Upvote 0
That's really strange! I've been researching the large Advent Christian revivals that were held in Rhode Island over the last few weeks. Then I find a tie tack from the Advent Christians, now this turns out to be something from them also... What's next??

Thank you so much for the information, Lakemonster! Do you know why this one is so tiny or how old it may be?
 
Upvote 0
I remember that particular design being used in the 70's and 80's

If it is indeed one of the old uniform buttons minus the shank, then I'd say pre 70's.

Now that I think of it... that you most likely have is a class/grade pin and the pin is sheared off. We lost those all the time. The ones we were issued in the 80's were filled with enamel of the color representing your grade.... the triangle shield and sword would show through as polished brass. Some were anodized instead of enamel filled if the grade was gold color or bronze... or black. Yours most likely is a Voyager, Explorer or Guide class pin. It would match perfectly to the size in your pic.

We were always told if we lost them they were gone forever..... we would get a stern talking to and then one would show up 4-6 weeks later.

If you find any plastic tubes out there about 1.5 inches long by 3/4ths of an inch...they were the old scarf tubes. They use cloth ones now made of patches.

I did some looking and theres a website with Pathfinder history and the changes in uniform pins and patches.

http://gc.bigfoottech.com/Ministries/Pathfinders/tabid/54/Default.aspx

I'd like to see your Adventist tie tack... I might be able to date that. It might also be Pathfinder gear.


This park may have been used for something called Camporee, a yearly gathering of Pathfinders from all over each state. Otherwise it may have been a Camp Meeting ground where SDA's congregate for a week in the summer. Could this old park have once been an Adventist summer camp? this is usually where both these events occur.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom