What's new

Nice Old Spear Point

undertaker

Hero Member
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
562
Reaction score
337
Golden Thread
0
Location
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
To bad this one has a tip chip. Would have probably been a 10. It's a older point that was in a box of archaic points that a farmer had. I love it and I hope it will be passed on when I'm no longer here.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1713.webp
    IMG_1713.webp
    524.2 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
Super blade:thumbsup: I would send that one to Gomer to be repaired.
 
Yessir, I would get it repaired as well.
 
Very nice looking point, I like the super flaking on it.
 
Looks like a classic example of Late Paleo Ste. Anne-Varney point. They sometimes have tiny side notches like that one displays. The dates at the Varney site in Maine were about 10,600 CYBP. I have an illustration of one from New Hampshire that is very much like yours. They sometimes have convex bases like that as well. Regarded as the Eastern form of the Eden point. That's one of the classic styles of Late Paleo lances from New England. Really nice....
 
that or a knife blade.
I'm thinking you're right, because of size!
See the slight hafting notches at base...?
Sweet piece!
well done! ...BOTH of you - (the craftsman and the THunter...!) :thumbsup:
 
Notice the tiny side notching in item B in this illustration. Item D shows a somewhat convex shaped base. I don't know the size of your point, but it might be one of the best examples of Ste. Anne-Varney points found in Vermont. They're not common. I'm guessing it was an isolated surface find, which is mostly the case. Quite a few were excavated from the Varney site in Maine. That's an important find from your state, if only because of its' condition.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    48 KB · Views: 94
Looks like a classic example of Late Paleo Ste. Anne-Varney point. They sometimes have tiny side notches like that one displays. The dates at the Varney site in Maine were about 10,600 CYBP. I have an illustration of one from New Hampshire that is very much like yours. They sometimes have convex bases like that as well. Regarded as the Eastern form of the Eden point. That's one of the classic styles of Late Paleo lances from New England. Really nice....

It does have Paleo flaking.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom