What's new

Nickel Questions

engine 823

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
312
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
Okay friends I have been looking lots of nickels lately trying to make a full book. I had heard it is possible to make a full nickel book from circulated coin. Well I have looked a butt load of nickels and I have not been finding any of the low mintage S mint marks at all. Not even the newer coins. Is this common and should I expect to have to buy those at a coin shop?
Secondly I found yesterday and have not gotten the chance to take a pic, a jefferson nickel that only had a slight in dent of the head on the front and the monticello on the back. No writting visable. Is it possible this is a error coin??? I've never seen a coin wore that bad?? Thought it may be a weak strike?? I will try to get a pic on here by monday.
Talk soon
 
Upvote 0
I have been searching nickles hard for the past two years and still need 6 to complete my book. I do see posts on here of people finding the dates I need, so I know they are out there. I have found two V nickles but yet to find a 38 D. You just have to keep on searching.

Gordon
 
It is definitely possible, but not easy. I still have the '39D and '50D left. I have been through 320,000 nickels.
 
Definitely possible. I just need 38s and 38d. Still looking for the "V" nickel for my collection.

OWS
 
I have searched 81,000 nickels since July of this year. My goal is to complete the 1938 - 2010 set. I have found all of them except 1938-S, 1939-D, 1944-S, 1945-D, and 1950-D. It should be possible to complete the set. If you search enough rolls, you can expect to find circulated proofs, foreign coins, Buffalo nickels, and Liberty Head nickels, although all of these are quite uncommon. There are also interesting mint errors to be found, although, again, they are quite uncommon. Searching nickels is very different from searching half dollar rolls, you will not find much silver, but it is a very cheap form of entertainment.

Happy hunting.


-Arkham House
 
Yes, you can do it. I've done it twice. I've found all 1938-2010 coin except the proof version. My third 1938-1962 is missing 3 coins. I searched about 50 boxes for my very first book
 
There is the thing I was saying though, The S mint mark coins are the ones I'm not finding. Guess I should not expect to find them in circulation much.
 
I found a '31-S buffalo out there...

Given that there were only 1.2m made, it's definitely possible to find all of the jeffersons. I've personally found the 39 D and S, but not the others... it'll just take time and a LOT of searching.
 
Finding the 38-D and 50-D in the wild is very, very difficult. I know this is a hobby and many CRHers would like to complete their nickel set out of roll searching. However, these two coins would be better off being purchased at a coin shop or coin coin. They are not that expensive and would save you tons of time and gas money. Not a sermon, just a thought.
rileyboy
 
I have found 2 1938-Ds in the wild, but no 1939-D or 1950-D. Still searching.

apush :read2:
 
It can be done; "S" mints included. I've included nickels in my CRHing, sporadically over the last three plus years, and only have three left to find: 39d, 46s, 49s.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom