DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back off the discrim a little more. Spread out a few nickles and test.

My buddy made the same mistake with his Tesoro. Went to the schools and dug tons of clad but couldn't understand why no nickles. He made the adjustment and BINGO!

Remeber, if you ain't finding nickles, you could be missing gold as well.

DCMatt

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Yes, discrimination is key. If you are a hair to far, you will not get nickles. Best way is like above. See where the nickle sounds off and the foil and pick a spot in between. Pull tabs and gold is in the nickle range, so there is no getting out of that unless you play with your discriminator each time. Why do we find tabs anyway? It's not like they are pull tabs anymore, lol. :occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I go to a new spot and find more nickels than quarters I assume it's been detected before. Folks who set notches to cherry-pick tend to ignore nickels - they aren't so conductive and usually have a patina that makes it worse.

When I use my Musketeer I carry a nickel and set it on the ground to adjust the discrimination. They run between 28 and 32 on the 1 to 99 scale of my F75.

OP
OP
20eyes

20eyes

Greenie
Mar 1, 2009
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver umax, Whites M6
Im starting to realize to dig everything. Thanks for the tips, ill have to get out and start digging i guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions