Night Vision

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends,
I think it would be great accessory to cache hunting Night Vision Equipment. Do you think it is a good idea for night hunting?
I think it would be ok for this purposes passive night vision. I mean night vision with infrared projector and goggles.

Do you know any of this kind of equipment which has high resolution and is relatively cheap?

Guys :), don't you know anything?

yea, it seems so... :) Do you know any equipment like I've mentioned above?

To be honest, I haven't the slightest. Based on my limited night vision experience, I would say that using night vision would almost be detrimental to night hunting, especially when it comes to spotting holes in the ground, low-hanging branches or, possibly, even a dug target, unless you wanted to spring for a seriously high-dollar unit.

af1733 said:
To be honest, I haven't the slightest. Based on my limited night vision experience, I would say that using night vision would almost be detrimental to night hunting, especially when it comes to spotting holes in the ground, low-hanging branches or, possibly, even a dug target, unless you wanted to spring for a seriously high-dollar unit.

I agree. I think I would go with an "old school" night vision device, commonly refered to as a flashlight.

I'd use flashlight too... but imagine, you are treasure hunting at night with flashlight, you are even more likely to be detected by human eye then in daylight... and you will cause the more interest...

I'm not going to tresure hunt on anybody's property, the idea is to hunt privately, without being detected by curious human eye... to not get myself asked different silly questions...

Do you know any night vision equipment which will help me in this (exept flashlight :) ?

TreasureGrabber said:
I'd use flashlight too... but imagine, you are treasure hunting at night with flashlight, you are even more likely to be detected by human eye then in daylight... and you will cause the more interest...

I'm not going to tresure hunt on anybody's property, the idea is to hunt privately, without being detected by curious human eye... to not get myself asked different silly questions...

Do you know any night vision equipment which will help me in this (exept flashlight :) ?

Of course, this begs the question: Where are you going to be hunting that would be without lights after dark, yet have folks hanging around to ask questions? :o ;)

af1733,
I'm not in usa,
if you know the right equipment which will be usefull for me tell me...
I mean passive night vision equipment with working distance up to 10 meters.

If you don't know, please don't bother yourself and don't lose your time... ;)

1st Gen nv on Ebay.Bushnell model#26-0100 if you are looking for some low budget NV this is the way to go, cost only 167.50 and that included shipping. No it's not 3rd gen but then you would be looking at spending close to 3.000.00 and up.You can see out about 100ft good.

Copied this from another site, hope it helps.

zlathim Thank you very much for reply :), I checked this item, but this kind of night vision (Night Vision Monoculars), is very uncomfortable as I think, do you know something which will have high resolution, with IR iluminator and will have goggles . also I don't need 600 feets of viewing range... 10 meters is enough, but the equipment should have maximum of resolution...
I checked a lot but could not find any... all are binoculars or monoculars... which are long distance, uncomfortable and low resolution...:( I need something like IR flashlight and IR goggles... but don't have idea even where to search for them...

Good luck. Most night vision applications require at least some ability to see distant object, whether it be 100' with the cheap products or 1 mile with the sophisticated gen 3 stuff. There just isn't really a market for nv devices for close up viewing at high resolution, not in the "affordable" range anyway.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you if you get the set-up that you want.

Standard issue = PVS7B's or PVS14's they have a close-up button on them for high resolution at close range, made for reading maps in your hands. And PVS7B's & PVS14's are very light.

I can't believe I am replying to this. ::)

Yes, you can build your own night vision setup and rig it to your head.

But why go through all that trouble and expense?

If I see someone at night with NV goggles, it is going to make me highly suspicious. I would watch that person like a hawk.

Just go out at 5:00 am to 6:00 am when any sane person is asleep. It is enough light to see but no people to watch you.

Why make this complex? ???

soar697877 thank you for the advice, the only disadvantige of the devices you have mentioned is price... but it seems it is something like I'm looking for...

Thank you guys for all your advices.
In case I use a flashlight, which colour should I use to be less noticable for a human eye?

SWR said:
TreasureGrabber said:
Siegfried Schlagrule, thank for the edvice.
but are you sure? here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102060.msg749028.html#msg749028 was a reply that it is blue .... ???

That's what happens when you run multiple threads with the same question.

Agreed... would like to have known this was running twice.

The following colors are all fanstastic at night: Green, red, blue, amber, orange. However, depending on WHAT you are reading, or WHAT you are doing that color need might change. Hospitols use blue light to preserve night vision because red will hide the any fresh blood color. Military uses red because they read maps, and there are no red marks on military maps, they use dark brown. Can you imagine looking at a contour map with a green light? It would be a blank page. Hence my reply for digging in the dirt - blue. Thats just my experience which is stated in the other thread - 25 years of night vision equipment use and colored flashlights and glowsticks. BTW - Submarines use blue lights now, not red. Surface ships still use red. Blue-Green is actually suppossed to cause the LEAST amount of stress on human eyes at night.

Also as stated - use a white light or don't hunt at night, the whole "hunting at night with sneaky equipment" thing seems strange to me anyway.

Having spewed my own thoughts - I found this link, Check it out... good stuff and a MUST read if your interested in this stuff for any reason: http://stlplaces.com/night_vision.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back