I'm jokig around about rod bolts...Right now I'm happy with just sorting out what it has now and fixing it up, but I'm the type that this will never be "done" . Later on down the road I wouldn't mind building another motor but that's way off.
I'll check out the link, eventually I want to build a 47rh with some of the parts from a 48... I still have some research to do and I'm not close to that right now either. My first goal is to change to the rust free cab and get the oil leaks stopped. I'm hoping to do most of that at the end of this week beginning of next week, depending on how things go here around the house...My tranny seems pretty solid at the moment...I just wanted the rh not the re...I wanted all mechanical.
The guy I bought the cab from has all of the stuff to change it back to a dually.I've been thinking about it but not sure yet..I would like to do some work for him for the parts , just to have them incase I do want to later on.
Changing cabs is a *****. The worst part is lifting the cab, and the front fenders are a bit of work. Totally worth it though.
I have a trailer that is 5ft wide. on the inside of the wheels, it has angle iron welded to it straight up then boards bolted to them. We have had about 2 tons of gravel in it with no problem. The tires looked like they were ready to pop but the trailer was fine. I'm thinking of having the cab set on the trailer sides, they should sit between the rockers. Then when I go to change the cab I'll park right next to the trailer, cut or flip the old off to one side and pull the other off the trailer onto the frame with some boards and a come along from the other side. It will be a lot of work, but I'm working with very little here. If I could take it to Ohio I have friends with lifts, racks, bobcats, or whatever that would make it real easy to do. BUT I'm not sure I want to wait that long yet...Once I get it here I'll have to make that decision. 
Ya I was trying to work that out today...Getting the old one off is no big deal, I'll take a sawzaw to it. I've worked in body shops in the past so I'm use to cutting my hands all up getting to fender bolts.I have a trailer that is 5ft wide. on the inside of the wheels, it has angle iron welded to it straight up then boards bolted to them. We have had about 2 tons of gravel in it with no problem. The tires looked like they were ready to pop but the trailer was fine. I'm thinking of having the cab set on the trailer sides, they should sit between the rockers. Then when I go to change the cab I'll park right next to the trailer, cut or flip the old off to one side and pull the other off the trailer onto the frame with some boards and a come along from the other side. It will be a lot of work, but I'm working with very little here. If I could take it to Ohio I have friends with lifts, racks, bobcats, or whatever that would make it real easy to do. BUT I'm not sure I want to wait that long yet...Once I get it here I'll have to make that decision.
![]()
That’s one way to do it. I did mine with no rear end . That way frame was dragging on ground, I used my kubota to pull the frame under the cab that was high I. The air on blocks. Wasn’t a smooth process but it worked. Second time I’ve changed a cab that way...hoping there isn’t a third time!



Magnet,glue gun, plastic, etc....
He likes hats, we have all types shapes and sizes for him.
So, there are hats everywhere around here.
It was a lot of messing around but I got it in there with what I had laying around.
View attachment 1656442
View attachment 1656443
View attachment 1656444
I didn't think about it and only took a couple pics at the end of taking things apart.I picked up the cab today and started taking everything out of the interior and off the firewall.
This is what I was meaning by setting it on top of the sides on the trailer. I'll bolt a couple of boards to the cab so it will slide nice, using the body mount bolts and stacking blocks.. When I go to change it, I'll park right next to the trailer with the doors off both cabs. finish stripping out the good stuff off the truck, slide the bed back a little, and HOPEFULLY be able to slide it off the trailer onto the frame with some boards underneath between the truck and trailer using a a ratchet strap or something to pull it over. It won't be quick and easy but I think it will work.
The doors have some waves in them(every door), I started working some of that out, carefully with a strong magnet and lightly massaging the metal. It's not worth the time it takes to get it perfect but I'm going to try...Just to see if I can do it.Magnet,glue gun, plastic, etc....
I didn't stay focused...I jumped from firewall to interior...to playing around with dents...I have a lot more to do in all three areas yet to prep it. I'm also starting to rethink the flat black paint job...I may leave it alone and do a real paint job this summer. I'm starting to change my mind about just throwing it together. I may actually do a slow resto. tracking down all the original clips and brackets. After walking around the junkyard today where my neighbor rents some space. I see how spotless everything is down here. It would be real easy to make a nice truck.
Notice my sons hat on the ground(first pic)!He likes hats, we have all types shapes and sizes for him.
So, there are hats everywhere around here.
You mentioned doing it with no rear end.....I built a jeep and had no cherry picker. I woke up one morning and decided I was going to change motors TODAY!!, I managed to get one up on a homemade pallet with a jack and some boards. I took the front diff out of the jeep, lowered it over the motor with no motor mounts, then bolted the mounts and jacked the jeep back up and put the diff back in.It was a lot of messing around but I got it in there with what I had laying around.
![]()
Lol, that’s a ton of work! Kinda vw style engine install!!
How’s the progress?
) plus rain and this was the first day I could work on anything. I rebuilt the vacuum pump today which was real easy. It took me longer to clean it up and get all the old gritty sand oil grease mixture off of the housing before I took it apart to replace the 3 seals. I had bought an aftermarket pump while I was in Ohio and it lasted about an hour before it started leaking. So, I bought seals from Cummins to repair the old pump. They have up dated the seals to a double lipped seal to cure the grooved shaft problem. Basically I wasted $200 on an aftermarket pump...Because now I've rebuilt the factory pump for less than $15 bucks with the updated seal. While I was working on it a neighbor kid showed up to "help", I had to baby sit my tool box. He wouldn't take a hint and this was the first day I met him...The guy went through every drawer in my box being nosy, which I have no problem with but I got a bad vibe and have been around long enough(around the block a couple times) to know what he was up to...I just wouldn't give him "opportunity". He was waiting though, and tried every chance he thought no one was looking and ....He didn't realize that he's not as slick as he thinks, He needs some lessons if he thinks he wants to go down that road, way toooo obvious!!!...I don't think he made it out of here with anything I watched him pretty closely.The guy even told me how he got kicked out of another neighbors yard because he "accidentally" put the guys snap-on ratchet in his pocket, telling me this while he's in my "good" Ratchet drawer playing with my snap-on and Williams ratchets!!!! So....It was dark by the time I got him out of here and I still didn't get a 20 min job done...UGHHHHHH!!!! Tomorrow I'm not going to be so friendly.
I just have to see if I can do it...The challenge was teasing me!!!
We thought( more of a joke between my wife and I) about making him a clubhouse out of the old cab but.....That's a little over the line even for me.
We were thinking about a colder weather camping trip too, just for a night or two so he starts to get that experience early. But....I have to wait and see how things go here at the house first...Maybe do a backyard thing with him. Tent and fire...Then I'm close to home in case there is a problem or if it's too much for him we are close and can bail at any time.
He is so hyper and destructive, Instead of constantly feeling like a drill sergeant, I want to try to redirect his energy to some new experiences or something constructive. He's only 3 and a half but he is very strong willed and has no fear!!
Paddle his butt and he will punch you in the face...Kid has an attitude issue. hahaha I love every minute of it!!! I'm working with him and I'm starting to see some positive changes.
What year cab is your new one?
It's 6/99 so If I remember right that makes it a 2000... I want the roof lights so I'll have to cut the holes for those. I also want the newer headliner,sunglasses, light, etc..center thingy. I have all of that stuff and the 2000 cab has the corect holes up in the supports. Those are the differences I've found so far. Well, heat shields are different. I've pretty much stripped the whole cab so I can start fresh. Oh..I found seat wiring was a little different and door wiring harnesses. Some stuff is just going to be mismatched and switched around. I'm trying to keep a notebook to go with the truck that tells what I did and what years I used to make it easier for me later when trying to track wiring or parts if I would ever have to.
It's cool to know that they were reproduced though.Hi Nitric,
You've quite a project in front of you, I suspect it will be done the slower more complete, detailed way as then you will not have to re-do from the quick and fast way and will have maximum enjoyment from a job done well from the start.
It is tough to see a young person ready to steal from others, somewhere they've gotten off on the wrong track. A lesson now would be better than a jail sentence later but I'd protect myself in case his parents decide to prosecute you. I'm talking a surveillance camera system (more than one camera) so there are no questions in a court of law that he was stealing from you. Protecting yourself in this day and age is important as people and the courts are just insane!
Your little one sounds like a handful, love and early guidance do a lot to shape what a very young person learns how to respond/react to life. The backyard winter camping trip sounds like a good idea!! Snow and extreme cold redefine how quickly a mistake of any kind will make a person uncomfortable or in trouble! My first winter trek mistakes were fortunately easy to remedy but it could have gone all wrong very quickly erasing all smiles instantly.
I hope the family stays well at least for the rest of 2018 and that all of you will have a Joyous Christmas!..............63bkpkr
I wish I could remember a lot more of that stuff, It's time for me to relearn too, so it will be fun!!! We don't get much snow here, but when he gets older we can go somewhere where there is enough snow to do stuff like that. I also remember going rabbit hunting with my dad, I couldn't have been much older than 6 or 7. But I remember some of the snow drifts were deep to me at that time!!
I didn't have a gun at that age, he just took me along and showed me how to clean them. I'm not much of a hunter but I also want to pass that along when it's time. Something good to know even if it's not something that you really want to. It doesn't bother me either way, just not my thing at this time to chase a rabbit around.


I was covered in it by the time I was done!!!Wow great post adventure is my name
. I know nothing about music, I don't have the time to restore it right now, and I've never restored anything like it. But it's Victorian, ornate, has moving parts, and it was only 35 bucks!! I couldn't just leave it sit there all alone and lonely!! Now, I have a parlor organ in my living room that needs restored. It was just part of the Adventure!!!! I have furniture I'm trying to get rid of because I don't have the space, then I bring another one home?
The thing looked all confused!!
Rain again!!! I'm ready to build a make shift garage out of 2x4's and some plastic or tarps!.![]()
Definitely need pictures of that structure! Lol

You could tell I was half a sleep and stumbling for questions..haha This summer He will make some good gold video's...I can't wait!Nitric, hows the truck coming?