What's new

No 90 percent silver but an interesting Balboa coin

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2020
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
10,525
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been awhile since I've hunted coin rolls. Picked up a box of dimes today...got a balboa panama coin....thought it was .500 silver but was incorrect.... I'll try a couple more boxes and see how it goes...usually I do nickels because I get more interesting finds...

Thanks for viewing!
 

Attachments

  • 20250930_201055.webp
    20250930_201055.webp
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • 20250930_201042.webp
    20250930_201042.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity (never done that) but do “odd” (mainly silver) coins show up in federal reserve boxes? Reason I ask, I assume they run them through machines similar to coin stars (on a bigger scale). If coin star kicks out silver, why wouldn’t the federal reserve units?
 
Just out of curiosity (never done that) but do “odd” (mainly silver) coins show up in federal reserve boxes? Reason I ask, I assume they run them through machines similar to coin stars (on a bigger scale). If coin star kicks out silver, why wouldn’t the federal reserve units?
Not sure how the coins are sorted but they do end up in federal reserve boxes....I picked out 21 or 22 war time nickels...from one box...dimes are tougher it seems for me anyway but others have posted some great finds...half dollars seem to yield some good results as well...
 
It has been awhile since I've hunted coin rolls. Picked up a box of dimes today...got a balboa panama coin....500 silver...I'll try a couple more boxes and see how it goes...usually I do nickels because I get more interesting finds...

Thanks for viewing!
Long time ago, when I was a kid and started detecting, we'd go through coin rolls in the winter, when we couldn't get out to hunt. Back then, we used to call it "Kitchen Koinshooting", lol.
 
Nice find, yes, but not silver at all.
Copper-nickel clad copper (Cladding: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel; Core: 100% Copper)
[th]
Composition​
[/th]​

 
Nice find, yes, but not silver at all.

Copper-nickel clad copper (Cladding: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel; Core: 100% Copper)

[th]
Composition

[/th]​


Good to know...I must have looked up a different Balboa coin...thanks!
 
It has been awhile since I've hunted coin rolls. Picked up a box of dimes today...got a balboa panama coin....thought it was .500 silver but was incorrect.... I'll try a couple more boxes and see how it goes...usually I do nickels because I get more interesting finds...

Thanks for viewing!
Thanks for sharing. I lived in the Republic of Panama from 2009-2012. Great memories! Some good detecting down there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom