No buttton

Shawnboylk

Mar 30, 2018
Wilmington nc
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know the variety of This I k ow there is a lot of diffrent types of nc sunburst image-2021-04-13-21:04:57-349.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a beauty of a NC Sunburst button. Congrat's on one Great Save.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to have to say, your find appears to be a modernday Reproduction of the Albert button-book's NC-16a, manufactured by S&S Firearms. You can read about that Repro, and view excellent close-up photos of it (front and back), here:
Fakes, North Carolina sunburst buttons, Albert NC16 (relicman.com)

You can also view several other Repro/Fake civil war NC buttons, here:
Ridgeway Reference Library, Civil War plates and buckles (relicman.com)

The crucial ID-clue is, the letters NC are smaller than the letters on any of the Original civil war North Carolina "sunburst" buttons.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shawnboylk

Shawnboylk

Mar 30, 2018
Wilmington nc
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to have to say, your find appears to be a modernday Reproduction of the Albert button-book's NC-16a, manufactured by S&S Firearms. You can read about that Repro, and view excellent close-up photos of it (front and back), here:

The crucial ID-clue is, the letters NC are smaller than the letters on any of the Original civil war North Carolina "sunburst" buttons.

Thank you !!! Do you know when they opened up?. A guy told me this was dug in Virginia in the 70s I’m trying to get to the bottom of it if it’s a replica could that be possible

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shawnboylk

Shawnboylk

Mar 30, 2018
Wilmington nc
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So there’s not a sunburst that’ has small letters that’s real is what your saying

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crusader read me right. There is no actual Original (non-reproduction) NC sunburst button that has those super-small letters. Only the S&S Firearms repro NC sunburst has the tiny letters. Go to the links I posted and see how much (or how little) space inside the circle is taken up by the letters. Compare yours to "the known Original varieties."

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread