No gold today but a big surprise

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we got shut out on our plan "A" due to fog, wind and ocean swell so we hit up an 18 century British Naval ship, I managed a few scant sheathing nails, ZDJohn got into a pile of musket balls, he must haf brought up around 40 loose and 2 small clumps that will make nice display pieces. ZDSteve got a cannon mortar, we new it was hollow by the weight of it but when I started to clean it up for electrolysis I noticed that it still had the plug in it. Now this may or may not have a charge in it but I wont know untill I can figure away to get the plug out without wrecking it and blowing myself to kingdom come.:tongue3:
Sorry I didn't get any pix of the Musketballs but I will try.
ZDD

Attachments

• 20130602_Steves mortar..jpg
    20130602_Steves mortar..jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 4
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn...be careful Dave!!!
OH Yea, it will all be done in the water bath. The charge would only be black powder so if it is wet it will be fairly tame.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool.........how deep is the ship?
it's in water from 35 ft to 55 ft. A few years back the same guy that found this cannonball also found a gold Guinea coin. Some people have all the luck.
ZDD

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you detail how you will clean and then preserve the canon balls?
I'd like to do the same with mine?

thanks!!

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you detail how you will clean and then preserve the canon balls?
I'd like to do the same with mine?

thanks!!
Sure thing John, I will make a post tomorrow if I can get the time and lay it all out for you. I will PM you when I put it up so you don't miss it. Untill you can do your Cannon Ball just keep it in the water.
ZDD

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure thing John, I will make a post tomorrow if I can get the time and lay it all out for you. I will PM you when I put it up so you don't miss it. Untill you can do your Cannon Ball just keep it in the water.
ZDD

cool thanks!!

looking forward to it!

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's in water from 35 ft to 55 ft. A few years back the same guy that found this cannonball also found a gold Guinea coin. Some people have all the luck.
ZDD

How much would the gold Guinea coin be worth? And also awesome find with the cannonball man

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much would the gold Guinea coin be worth? And also awesome find with the cannonball man
His was valued by a coin dealer to be $500.00, would be nice to find a couple hunder of those babies.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please be careful with the cannon ball , I have heard stories that ended badly !!
I am fairly certain that this cannonball does not have a charge in it but one can never be certain. I think these were stored on the ship with the plugs in them to keep them dry. I do not want to distroy the plug as it completes the piece so I will have to drill the center of it out just large enouph so I can insert a tool to remove it. then remove and charge that may be in it. If I don't post anymore on TN you know I screwed it up.LOL
ZDD

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am fairly certain that this cannonball does not have a charge in it but one can never be certain. I think these were stored on the ship with the plugs in them to keep them dry. I do not want to distroy the plug as it completes the piece so I will have to drill the center of it out just large enouph so I can insert a tool to remove it. then remove and charge that may be in it. If I don't post anymore on TN you know I screwed it up.LOL
ZDD

Good Luck (I get first dibs on the magnetometer..........:angel2:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions