What's new

No idea?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres my latest whatsit. Dug it last week at a site that was either a home site or a school site.
Based on the other finds found, I'm leaning towards a home site.
On the bottom it looks like a makers mark of JOEL.
Above the hinge on top I can see an X or a + symbol.
Anyone have a clue?
Thanks for your help.

HB
 

Attachments

  • whatsit 001.webp
    whatsit 001.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 329
  • whatsit 002.webp
    whatsit 002.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 335
  • whatsit 003.webp
    whatsit 003.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 322
  • whatsit 004.webp
    whatsit 004.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 330
It ain't horse tack so it must be furniture hardware. ;D

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Its a masonary anchor hinge assembly.....I would assume used in pairs for a small door in a brick wall. The wall had access from both sides.
Just my wag. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
TiredIron said:
Its a masonary anchor hinge assembly.....I would assume used in pairs for a small door in a brick wall. The wall had access from both sides.
Just my wag. :dontknow:

Do you have any photo's that can back your theory up?
The screw obviously held the hinge area closed.
Not sure how a mason would use this but maybe you are.
Thanks for your help.
 
Upvote 0
Hill Billy said:
TiredIron said:
Its a masonary anchor hinge assembly.....I would assume used in pairs for a small door in a brick wall. The wall had access from both sides.
Just my wag. :dontknow:

Do you have any photo's that can back your theory up?
The screw obviously held the hinge area closed.
Not sure how a mason would use this but maybe you are.
Thanks for your help.

I would agree that this item is an expansion anchor fastener. The large part fits in a hole and as you tighten the screw it expands at the slot in the sleeve to anchor the device in the hole.

But I can't figure out what the hinged part is or how it would fasten to another item. Maybe the screw would also draw the hinged portion closed to clamp on to something?

The shape seems purposeful. :dontknow: Why would it need to be rounded like that? Maybe something slipped over it?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom