No more Cannibal sandwiches for me!

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
The Germans had a dish made from seasoned ground raw pork on bread. As a young Airman I ate it before knowing what it was. Turns out the Germans had virtually eliminated the bad pork parasites (and other nasties) and it was quite safe but not before my anxiety went into overdrive a few days... it was quite tasty.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
My Dad use to eat cannibal sandwiches. Raw hamburger on bread with a slice of raw onion. I always refused the offer to taste it.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to visit relatives in Germany during the late 70's and early 80's. I remember going to a restaurant and ordering the Löwenfrühstück (Lion's breakfast). It was basically a piece of lean raw steak served with a few slices of rye bread, butter, pickle and some spiced mustard. You cut the steak into small cubes and put it on buttered rye bread, topping it with some spiced mustard and chopped pickles. It was absolutely delicious, especially with a nice German beer to go with it.

At home we also regularly ate what we called gehacktes, which literally translates to "chopped", but in our case was raw lean "ground" beef. We also ate it on rye bread, usually with salt, pepper and a few pieces of chopped onion on top. Also delicious.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMMM! I love raw Fresh Ground Round.

I Don't eat it as a Holiday or in sandwich form.
but every time I buy 5 lb at the butcher shop
I eat about a quarter pound in pinches, As I'm divvying it out in patties to freeze.

I Like My burgers Raw inside Too , but Do prefer Warm on the inside & Fried on the Outside.

I saw a Girl Eat Raw Ground Pork once, as she was Making Sausage.
Not sure on that :( I'm afraid of the taste More then anything these days.

I think even pigs are raised in clean conditions these days.
and not fed slop (

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steak tartare.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

If you didn't watch it being ground up then it's probably been out too long to safely eat it raw. THE ADMIRAL used to insist on ultra rare hamburgers . . . until she got salmonella poisoning. (Suspected from a Fudrucker's). Sick for three months. Now she gets medium like me.

On the other hand, I was a kid before the discovery of sanitation and we mostly survived and were stronger for it. No one had allergies or asthma. Herd immunity.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid I'd grab pinches add a pinch of salt. If I wanted to go deluxe, I'd add a drop of A-1 sauce. Had some that they ground in some bell pepper & onion. They were calling it steak tar tar back then. I believe Charlies right! We never got sick. Now days everyone gets sick from everything!

Now that I think back, I think it was more fun watching mom gag than having a treat.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experiences were like boogeyman's. When Mom was cooking hamburger my siblings and I (5 of us) would pass through the kitchen grab a small ball of raw hamburger and eat it, sometimes sprinkling a a little salt and/or pepper on it. Apparently didn't kill me or make me sick because I have made it to 74... so far!

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eating steak raw is probably my favorite way to eat it. Raw beef is very good with a little salt.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a mouthful of coffee...

That I swallowed five minutes ago.

You guys... arrrrgggg :/

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The mrs said often that she ate raw liver when she young.
Though our friends gave their baby raw liver, eggs, and other raw-and I can say she's one healthy looking 5 yrs old.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mrs said often that she ate raw liver when she young.
Though our friends gave their baby raw liver, eggs, and other raw-and I can say she's one healthy looking 5 yrs old.

I Liked my Liver Pink inside.
Not sure if I Can eat it anymore. Last time I Made it I Had a painful heartburn attack in the middle of eating it.
Most likely from the Onions, But Liver without onions ? I'm not sure it's worth it.

I Never tried to eat raw liver.. I Got a feeling it would be very tuff & Chewy , not to mention the Slimy feel.

Friends have eaten raw ground deer too , I'll stick to Bloody Beef :coffee2:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The cannibal was having dinner with his mother. She said "I don't like your neighbors". He said, " just eat your vegetables then".

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I Liked my Liver Pink inside.
Not sure if I Can eat it anymore. Last time I Made it I Had a painful heartburn attack in the middle of eating it.
Most likely from the Onions, But Liver without onions ? I'm not sure it's worth it.

I Never tried to eat raw liver.. I Got a feeling it would be very tuff & Chewy , not to mention the Slimy feel.

Friends have eaten raw ground deer too , I'll stick to Bloody Beef :coffee2:
Im not sure if my venison jerky is considered ‘cooked’, but I ate about 20 lbs worth this year.

Attachments

• B3D68026-10BD-46DB-BB8F-AB8E18D4D9D6.jpeg
    B3D68026-10BD-46DB-BB8F-AB8E18D4D9D6.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 43

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always made me queasy when Boss Hogg ate raw liver on "The Dukes of Hazzard"!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently a thing in Wisconsin. Never heard of it but yuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread