What's new

NO ONE answered my question

Cat J

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
789
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I told the list that some Ike dollars were accidental minted in silver when they were suppose to be nickel clad. I asked if there was any other way to make sure it was silver when it does not have an S mint mark and is not a proof besides the rim check and the old bar napkin trick. No one answered me. So I did some more research and found out that the nickel clad weighs in at 22.85 grams and if it is silver it is 24.56 grams. So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a really nice little digital scale for only $16 so I could weight all my Ike 74, 77 and Bicentennials. Most of them were 22 and 23 grams but the ones I thought were silver clad were in fact silver clad. So I am sharing my information with you guys just in case any of you did not know and wanted to know.

Thanks
Cat
 
Upvote 0
the san francisco mint made the silver IKE dollar coins to go into "proof sets" -- thus they were "s" mint marked and were only to be issued in proof sets --- if some one broke the set up then they could get mixed up ( any other silver clad IKES were "error" strikes )--- silver clad IKES have a "differant" look and feel to them than the nickle clad ones do. had to explain over the net -- but easy to see and feel in real life --- simply put they feel and look differant ( a tad bit heavier -- a bit differant color wize)
 
Congratulations, if you are correct, they are probably worth a few pennies. ;) Send the ones you see as silver error coins to anacs to be authenticated. Then everyone will believe you, including a buyer.
 
Cat J said:
No one answered me. So I did some more research
That's good you found it yourself. Thanks for the update. You can now be the "research Queen" for this forum. If we have questions, we'll let your fingers do the walking.
 
Well I just needed to know for sure. I hate to keep $2,000 tied up in Ike dollars but did not want to get rid of a mistake silver coin for face value.

Thanks
Cat
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom