No silver today, but perhaps an even better find....

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi everyone!! Since today was such a nice day, I blew off my chores and laundry (again) and decided to keep working the spot in the park that produced the silver Roosie and other goodies yesterday. PLENTY of clad again today, plus a small chain (not silver, it's rusted :( ), and a '47D Jefferson nickel (keeper!!). Then I get a really weird, bouncy signal about 4-5 inches down. It's all over the place...penny to quarter to dime back to penny. I decide to dig it, and after finally pinpointing, dig about 4-5 inches down. Nothing. Notice something metal sounding near my Lesche, and dig around it. Flipped a large, dark disk out of the dirt. At first, I thought I had a clad JFK half. Then I notice the coin has a hole in it, with the remains of a rotting leather strap still attached. I look at the face and see Georgivs VI Rex!! I immediately flip it over, and WOW!! Turns out to be a 1939 Great Britain large penny used as a necklace!! It has cleaned up very well, and shows amazing detail and little wear ;D !! Clad totals for today were 7 quarters, 9 dimes, the '47D clad Jefferson nickel, and 31 memorial pennies (17 copper and 14 zinc), for a total of $3.01. This brings my 4 day clad total (since I started keeping track on Saturday) to a whopping $19.10. Not too shabby for 4 solid days of detecting ;D . Pics below. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• Picture 74.jpg
    Picture 74.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 138
  • Picture 75.jpg
    Picture 75.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 76.jpg
    Picture 76.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 77.jpg
    Picture 77.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Picture 78.jpg
    Picture 78.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
UPDATE: I found some more clad coins that had slipped to the bottom of my goodie bag. Adjusted totals are: 11 dimes, and 33 memorial pennies (18 copper and 15 zinc). Adjusted clad total for today is $3.23. Adjusted running clad total since Sat. 4/10: $19.32.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I never found a large English penny!!!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice penny Paul. Gettting out often is good for ya and your clad total. HH DFW

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Silver is over rated....
Clad goes easily back into the local economy, spurring growth and opportunity. You are doing the nation a great service my friend. Welcome to the good side!

Meanwhile, leave me notes on where you were looking for silver so I can avoid it too....

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Nice find!
That's a real penny! What we usually dig are cents...

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Nice big penny Paul! Looks like you got a great spot! Look forward to see what else you find there!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Paul!

Glad to see you didn't let that "big one" get away. . . those good 'ole days, when a penny was a penny :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread