What's new

No Snow, I gotta do a Pit Dig!! Back Bar Bottle, beer and more!

jgas

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
3,826
Reaction score
2,753
Golden Thread
1
Location
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Where oh where is the snow? :icon_sunny: I know it's not here so I just had to get out and dig in February for the first time ever!
I had located this pit a couple months ago and thought it was just a trash pit. So I left it alone for just such an occasion like today. No Snow ;D

So I started out digging up a pile of no nonsense fruit jars and a couple of Ball Jars. Nothing big there but this was in the first 3 feet or so. It was looking like I was right that it was a trash pit >:(. Although there are goodies in trash pits all the time. So I kept warm by pummeling that dirt and tossing it out like a rabid groundhog on crack :tongue3:

Now it was getting interesting as I pulled out a bottle I had not seen before. A Crofts Swiss Milk Cocoa from Philly. Ground lip so thats better than ABM. Then I got another one without the embossed bottom. Strange :dontknow: Keepers in my book. Then I hit my shovel on a solid target. That distinctive sound of heavy glass. Out pops a Killer Stunning Hendryx back bar bottle. It has gold etching and is just spectacular for a preprohibition bottle. Not really sure who made this one but its a keeper for sure. It turned out great after a quick bath.

Then it was onto the bottom and I finally found a seed layer and a broken chamber pot. Now it was no longer a trash pit but an actual privy. Broke through to the bottom and the sand layer and another "Ding" of the shovel. Thought it might have been another blank fruit jar but this time it turned out to be a late throw. A nice Muessel Brothers Aqua quart blob beer. This one dates to 1880 or so, thus it predated the entire pit by 20 plus years. Must have been the guy digging the pit and was thirsty :o

Another neat find was the red drinking glass that was personally etched by someone in 1912. They scratched some lettering on the glass. So that was a cool personal type find, always neat to find that kind of glass. Finished up with a cobalt medicine and a peppersauce ABM bottle. One and done today turned out great. I am glad I went and braved the 35 degree weather. Its been a great winter so far and the ground is still soft enough to probe for more. Thats tomorrow ::) I am nuts, but I love it! Goodluck out there and be safe everyone. :icon_thumleft: Till next time, see you below the surface :laughing9: jgas
 

Attachments

  • h1.webp
    h1.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • h2.webp
    h2.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,076
  • h3.webp
    h3.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • h4.webp
    h4.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,072
  • h5.webp
    h5.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,073
  • h6.webp
    h6.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • h7.webp
    h7.webp
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • h8.webp
    h8.webp
    69 KB · Views: 1,086
  • h9.webp
    h9.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,089
  • h10.webp
    h10.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • h11.webp
    h11.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • h12.webp
    h12.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,086
Upvote 1
Your the "PITMASTER" J :notworthy: Love them old bottles you always find. I like that engraved glass too!! I wish I could get into prizzy diggin too. You seem to have it down to an art :headbang:
 
Why am I still sitting on my butt? No snow here, so I should be digging. I've been looking, but no luck for a while. Guess I'll just have to enjoy your digs!
 
Nice digs. Are both of your Croft's "patent applied for" embossed? I was looking in Redbook since I don't recall ever seeing one of those. There is one variant that goes for a couple hundred bucks. It is not "pat applied for"
 
Yep both Crofts are Pat. Applied For types. But both are different. One has the embossing on the bottom and the other does not. I think the older version would have been the one with Philadelphia embossed on the bottom. It is more aqua and the plain one is just clear. But I could be wrong. These are the first ones that I have ever seen and believe me, we have see a ton of glass :tongue3:

Thanks for the replies everyone, enjoy the non winter and get out there and toss some dirt :thumbsup: jgas
 
You are my new hero. :notworthy: Awesome saves!!!
 
J. Your bottle diggn' skills always seem to Amaze me! Very Nice!!!

Keep it Up!!!

M.J.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Hendryx bottle is the coolest I've ever seen...can't believe how good it cleaned up :notworthy: :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom