No Weight Belt Blows

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I finally have all my ducks in a row and have my Hookah kind of working...I get to my spot and start dredging. I back track to the spot were I had dredged before wanting to really clean the bedrock now that I can see...only two problems. Fist I have to move all the cobbles that I piled up there and crap forgot my weight belt at home. Wasn't to much of a problem in the shallow water but when I hit the bedrock drop off it's a whole different ball game. The bed rock ends up dropping off almost 5'. Trying to dredge under 7' of water without a weight belt sucks. Didn't get to clean much but did remove lots of hard pack and have my first plinker picker!
IMG_20130512_175633[1].jpg

I hope that's the first of many! Haven't processed my cons yet but what I have seen it's looking good.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's hard when your holding the nozzle and a blaster nozzle. I even tried putting rocks my pillow case and tying it to my waist but it didn't work.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
craigslist or swaps provide for pennies on the dollar,too bad your so far as I always have extras of everything to loan-John

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys, took my belt this time :) but now I'm wondering how much weight do I need to stop floating...I think this belt is 60#, I tip the scale at 200 with a combination of muscle and fat... I'm thinking I need another 40# )half my body weight. Is there a rule of thumb?

Also is there a trick to stop a face mask from leaking? It seems that if I put my hood on then the mask it sealed better but still leaked. I have the straps pretty damn tight already.

The bed rock was kind of a bust... cleaning all that I had dredged already yielded less then 1 gram. Now if I under cut the bank at the 2' and below mark it was producing.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a mustache??? Problematic as much be trimmed close or eliminated.Just a tiny dap of vaseline helps the seal. Sometime hoods push masks helter skelter causing leaks,slow down and move hood away from mask and seals. Some folks like me have a hard time with seals because golddivers look DOWN all the time and ocean divers up and out. Nose blow drain hole mandatory-John

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Be sure to pull the edges of your hood so it doesn't catch at all under the edge of the mask. I always have to try to breath in through my nose a couple of times to get the mask to seal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread