Noise from control box of ace 250

I also have a new 250 and hear a slight buzz from the control box. Actually, glad I do, because I hadn't realized I had left it on when I came home till I passed by it and heard the faint buzzzzz...

Stacey

Mine doesnt "buzzzzz" at all.

I dont think its normal

Mine makes a very faint ultra high pitch whine. Hold the 250 speaker next to your ear AFTER you turn it on. I have two and they both make the same sound.

ModernDayWarrior said:
Mine makes a very faint ultra high pitch whine. Hold the 250 speaker next to your ear AFTER you turn it on. I have two and they both make the same sound.
yup i noticed it also

Two things come to mind.

RFI- Radio Frequency Interference. Are you close to a TV/Radio station? Does it happen everywhere?

If not, then the speaker hum may be from the electronics inside. Stray voltage finding its way to the speaker. If it was me, I'd call Garrett.

BTW, mine doesn't hum.

Dan

Mine makes a very faint ultra high pitch whine.
Ok, I take it all back. There IS an ultra high pitch whine coming from mine. No buzz just that whine.

Yeah. Mine has a high pitch. Sounds like a small loaded capacitor, like the big ones used in flash photography. Must have something to do with transmitting to the coil as I lose it when the coil is disconnected.

When the power is on, the 250 emits what I would describe as a high frequency whine. Not a buzz, but a whine like when you begin to get too close to a speaker while holding a mic

Maybe I’m too deaf to hear it but mine doesn’t whine.
Those of you who have one that does, does it tone change with the sensitive turned up or down? Or if the coil is set on the floor verses in the air? ???

drver said:
Maybe I’m too deaf to hear it but mine doesn’t whine.
Those of you who have one that does, does it tone change with the sensitive turned up or down? Or if the coil is set on the floor verses in the air? ???
It remains the same throughout all conditions.

Mine emits a slight continous whine you can hear just by very close. Does'nt buzz!!!

Melvin

I took mine out and ran it - no change from the usual. OMG, what does it all mean?! :o

Mine sounds silent to me, but I have a high frequency hearing loss so it might be humming away! ::) I would guess if it's anything it might be a preset threshold setting. My 2500 has an adjustable threshold setting. It is set properly when you can just barely hear it. Does it still come through with the headphones plugged in? Since just about everyone hears it except me I think it's probably normal unless it's so loud it becomes annoying. Did anyone email Garrett to see what they had to say about it? Monty

Don't panic - It's normal.

I believe it's the frequency generator. I called Garrett a long time ago when I noticed the noise. They told me it was normal. Some people may not be able to here it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back