Nokta settings question

robcip

Greenie
Aug 21, 2023
The detector is a Nokta Legend "2023" v1.11 although I think its probably a general Nokta question and not just the Legend. I have been playing around in my yard with park setting. Mostly in M2 freq. Mostly with a Ground Off discrimination. I run Freq. Shift and do a ground balance. Problem im getting is A. the thing is SUPER chatty. Im guessing that is something I just got to get used to I tried setting the discrimination to ferrous off to no avail. and B. I lay my gold chain on the ground and it barely picks it up. If I didnt know the necklace was on the ground it is something I would ignore due to how chatty it is. I think the necklace is 18k and a rope type. My wifes ring which is 18k pops loud. I can only imagine if the necklace was buried at all I would miss it completely. What can I do to fix chattyness while hopefully enhancing the gold sound.

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
The detector is a Nokta Legend "2023" v1.11 although I think its probably a general Nokta question and not just the Legend. I have been playing around in my yard with park setting. Mostly in M2 freq. Mostly with a Ground Off discrimination. I run Freq. Shift and do a ground balance. Problem im getting is A. the thing is SUPER chatty. Im guessing that is something I just got to get used to I tried setting the discrimination to ferrous off to no avail. and B. I lay my gold chain on the ground and it barely picks it up. If I didnt know the necklace was on the ground it is something I would ignore due to how chatty it is. I think the necklace is 18k and a rope type. My wifes ring which is 18k pops loud. I can only imagine if the necklace was buried at all I would miss it completely. What can I do to fix chattyness while hopefully enhancing the gold sound.
I have the legend also.
Mine isn’t chatty unless I’m in high emi so if you have lots of emi in your house then multi will almost be unusable & id switch to 15khz single frequency.
As of the gold chain. If they ain’t all curled up in a ball any machine will struggle hitting chains, but obviously the higher the frequency the better it will hit it. Gold chains on mine ring up very low. You’d think it was foil. I probably do more testing than hunting….lol. Jk. I do a lot of testing tho.

OP
OP
R

robcip

Greenie
Aug 21, 2023
Ya I had it balled up. I figured running the freq shift would clear up the EMI. I tried the single freq and it was better but still chatty. It is funny because on the beach I couldnt even tell if it was working. I had to run it over my sand scoop once in awhile just to be sue it was working.

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem with my Legend. I did a lot of testing in my yard before going out as I wanted to be able to quickly deal with anything that might happen else where.
You don't necessarily have to go with single frequency to deal with EMI I just do a manual frequency shift I know that in my front yard EMF will drop in some places about 3 foot off the ground from the communications and power lines out there.
After doing the frequency shift I was able to quiet the chatter caused by EMI by doing that and dropping my sensitivity a bit.
But there is something else that is interesting with these new detectors and I have noticed this with the Legend,and that is this if you swing too slow and low your going to be getting falsy chatter.
With the old analog detectors the old saying was "swing low and slow", but that is not the case with these newer detectors.
I've noticed with my Legend I'll get a hit on a false target and go over it again and there will be nothing there if I swing a bit faster over the supposed target area.
Usually you get a target reading on the screen with them but no depth reading.
As far as gold I had no problem detecting a gold bracelet that is about 3/16th of an inch wide and I tested on top of the ground over an area where I know there's roofing nails under the ground.
I picked it up both laying straight out and in a pile on top of the ground and its signal was detected and repeated both on the 11 and 6 inch coils.
I set a tone break at 7 as thinner gold jewelry or at least the bracelet I was testing on was ringing in at that point in the first segment as far as VDI or TID, but I depend more on audio than on screen readings.
Even at that the VDI's on the Legend are quite accurate in my opinion that surprises me but if its trash you will know it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread