SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_thumright:
Went out Saturday with my friend Mark to a site and dug this rare Confederate school button!
The Norfolk Academy in Virginia has a long history and produced many young soldiers who served in the Civil War. This button has the "R & W Robinson" backmark and was produced from c.1834-48
according to the Tice book. The NMA buttons are some of the most desirable Confederate school buttons among collectors. Also saw that Josh (Sentinel on TNET), dug one last year!
Also found were 12 plain flat buttons and a very worn KGIII.
Keith

Attachments

• NMA front.jpg
    NMA front.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,431
  • NMA back.jpg
    NMA back.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,346
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Norfolk Military Academy is located in downtown Norfolk still to this day (I pass by it nearly everyday). It's a beautiful school founded in 1727 and was a stellar Confederate Military Academy and produced some of the best soldiers of the war including General Robert E. Lee's own personal aide-de-camp Colonel Walter H. Taylor who's in the famous photo of Lee, Lee's son and himself. They're pretty rare and I've seen them sell for between $750-$1200 in dug condition over the years. Great Find, I found mine last year and was very excited to have it in the collection. :icon_thumleft: :wink:
Congrats on your NMA button Josh! I ordered a back issue of NSTCW mag with info regarding the button, which is interesting. My button was dug in SC. HH!, and looks like you guys caught some nice flounder in your post!
Keith

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC Keith said:
{Sentinel} said:
Norfolk Military Academy is located in downtown Norfolk still to this day (I pass by it nearly everyday). It's a beautiful school founded in 1727 and was a stellar Confederate Military Academy and produced some of the best soldiers of the war including General Robert E. Lee's own personal aide-de-camp Colonel Walter H. Taylor who's in the famous photo of Lee, Lee's son and himself. They're pretty rare and I've seen them sell for between $750-$1200 in dug condition over the years. Great Find, I found mine last year and was very excited to have it in the collection. :icon_thumleft: :wink:
Congrats on your NMA button Josh! I ordered a back issue of NSTCW mag with info regarding the button, which is interesting. My button was dug in SC. HH!, and looks like you guys caught some nice flounder in your post!
Keith

Thanks Keith and again Congrats. Yeah my local Sons Of Confederate Veterans group basically maintain Norfolk Academy's history here in Norfolk and do tours of it every year. Here's the photo of General Lee, General Lee's son (General George Washington Custis Lee) and Colonel Walter Taylor at far right (graduate of Norfolk Military Academy). You may have already seen them if you looked at my NMA post but what the hail, its a great photo!

Robert-Walter.jpg

Norfolk Military Academy
nor_acad.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread