What's new

North Carolina Soapstone

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always been very partial toward soapstone artifacts. We find lots of soapstone here, but never a complete bowl, just partials and pieces. The only provenance I have on this little guy is North Carolina. It's only 3 3/8" long and it looks just like full size vessels I've seen from New England.
A collector from North Carolina, who is very knowledgable in stuff from his region told me it would be a cup. Hope you enjoy!

North Carolina Soapstone 001.webp
North Carolina Soapstone 002.webp
North Carolina Soapstone 005.webp
North Carolina Soapstone 004.webp
North Carolina Soapstone 003.webp
 
Upvote 0
THAT IS RELLY NICE,i have never seen one,thanks for sharing
 
Nice looking cup. I know we have soapstone here but I havent found any yet. But I am looking.
 
Cool artifact. When I first saw the picture I thought it was a boatstone.
 
Very nice vessel and light. Imagine all it has held.
 
That is awesome! I found lots of pieces of soapstone pottery but nothing whole. That small is way better to me than a big pot.
 
That is awesome! I found lots of pieces of soapstone pottery but nothing whole. That small is way better to me than a big pot.

Thanks. Yeah, the guy I bought this from thought it might have been a toy for a native child. Really resembles a scale model of the "full-size" bowls.


Thanks everyone!
 
Nice piece. I have seen pieces like this in NC collections, but not mine. Hopefully I'll find one Mañana !!!! Thanks for the view.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom