Charl
Silver Member
- Joined
- Jan 19, 2012
- Messages
- 3,091
- Reaction score
- 4,794
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Rhode Island
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
In addition to the adz, the gouge was also a woodworking tool, more common in the Northeast and I think the Pacific Northwest(?). This first one is my only personally found gouge. It's a grooved gouge, with a shallow groove on the backside and sides. I found this in Westport, Ma, less then 60 seconds after the owner walked into the field and told me she had decided to post her property and I would not be welcomed back. "Well, OK, you can stay today" says she, turns her back and walks away, I take 2 steps and pick this up!


Upvote
0









Wow what a group of really nice tools. I have seen chisels posted before but not gouges. They have some fine detail and polish. I imagine they were highly prized. So the use would have been numerous from bowls to boats ?







